EMG Shape Pickups?

Phrygian

Hey guys, this is my first post.  I thought I start here in the pickup forum for the answer to my question.  I have been thinking about doing a rear routed Strat, and I am wondering if anyone knows of single-coil pickups (other than the EMGs) that will fit Warmoth's EMG shape routes.

Thanks for the reply.  I've read a lot of your posts browsing through the forums.

Call who?  Warmoth?

Tone wise, I'm not sure what to make of Lace's PUs.  I played few Strats with the Golds back when I used to work in a guitar shop, years and years ago.  I don't remember too much about them.  I need to give them a try again.  Aesthetically, the pickup cover doesn't hide the metal mounting tabs.

I primarily play blues, R&B, rock, and some Jazz.  I currently own a 1990 US Vintage Series '60s Strat, but I want to build a Strat that is more versatile.  Of course, I am planning to to try out pickups in my current Strat before building my Warmoth.

I meant call/email Warmoth; hard to tell from the pics on the website. I recently did a build with a set of vintage Lace silvers, and rewired a guitar for a guy with the Hot Golds; would definitely recommend their pickups.

i'd say yes for the ssl pups but no for the rails. the rails pups have wireing exits from the side of the pup, unless you find an "old" rails. i'm not positive about an ssl-5 or ssl-6 but i have a 1/4-pounder (ssl-4) that looks like it fits. the wires exit from the botom.

Thanks for the responses, guys.  I don't know about the SSL-5/6 pickups.  I just don't think I'd like them.  I might try out the Lace Holy Grail's.  Or, I may actually try out some EMGs.  Vaughan and Knopfler both played with them on stage.  How bad can they be?

Stevie Ray never played live or recorded with anything but early 60's Strats with stock pickups; only exception to that was he jammed a couple of times with a custom Strat Charlie Wirz built him that had a set of Danelectro lipsticks in it.

At some point, I think about a year before he died somebody gave him a Hamiltone custom Strat that came with a set of EMGs, but he had those pulled and replaced with a set of Fender pickups, not sure of their provenance, but never saw him playing it serious.

jackthehack said:
Stevie Ray never played live or recorded with anything but early 60's Strats with stock pickups; only exception to that was he jammed a couple of times with a custom Strat Charlie Wirz built him that had a set of Danelectro lipsticks in it.

At some point, I think about a year before he died somebody gave him a Hamiltone custom Strat that came with a set of EMGs, but he had those pulled and replaced with a set of Fender pickups, not sure of their provenance, but never saw him playing it serious.

I just pulled out my Montreux DVD set (1985 disk) to see if Main (the Hamiltone guitar) had the EMGs in it.  Nope... you are correct.  :)

jackthehack said:
he jammed a couple of times with a custom Strat Charlie Wirz built him that had a set of Danelectro lipsticks in it.

I just caught this.  Jammed a couple of times?  Sorry but I have to call BS on this, he played Charlie a lot!  I love this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B926B987aY

Great tone here :)

Sorry, you kind of made it sound like he rarely played those guitars.  Of course, I shouldn't say he played it a lot... that's BS too.

I'm not incognito, have a look and listen:
http://www.myspace.com/berrybradley

Thanks, Alfang, I wish I had more/newer tunes up there.  I've been having trouble with arthritis in my left hand (guitarist's worst nightmare!)  Too many years of playing 11s with a high action, I guess.  Playing leads for more then 30 minutes or so is killing me (it's a serious crimp on creativity).  Also, I hate being a one man band because I'm really a sorry drummer and bassist.  I just need to pop a bunch of naproxen and get through some of the tunes that have been haunting me.

Anyway, I think I've taken this thread way off topic.

I was just curious,as if you were around the scene in Dallas/Austin in the day you should know who I am even from the shitty little pic on my profile; not a close friend of Stevie's, but an acquintance, if you will... Same age; grew up checking out the same black blues artists in Dallas/Austin 69-early seventies, played in bands in the same clubs in early 70s; never really saw him much after he did the David Bowie album/tour and only once past '86 in person.

We had a lot of common friends, most notably Charlie Wirz; I knew Charlie from when he was still a high school shop teacher refinishing axes in his garage to fix/refinish/resell and make a couple of bucks way before he quit the day job and opened Charlies Guitar Shop and started the Great Southwest Guitar Show, we'd run pawn shops in the REAL bad parts of Dallas looking for gear.

At any rate, enough of the "old fogey" shit; interesting you found that clip of him playing that axe at the NO festival; I'd personally never seen him play that axe live at a big gig before; knowing him it was queued backstage for broken string emergencies, and he had hands of steel; I don't remember the string gauges he used but I use .009 sets and his were like telephone pole wires to me and he'd STILL bend them till they break....

I've heard he played 13's, but I hear alot of things.  Cool stuff though Jack.  Being a fogey has it's benefits.  I've met some big names and stuff here and there, but you know,  it ain't the same now that they are so far past their glory days!

At least 12's, but he didn't play a standard set, the lower strings were WAY big... If you kids are trolling for videos the one I'd most like to see would have to be transferred from 8mm; in the early 70s when he was still playing with the Cobras, some schmuck with some musical taste but a Republican nonetheless (go figure) actually booked the Cobras to play at a "Young Republicans for Nixon" or some crap like that function at the Lowe's Anatole in Dallas.  I was driving a cab as a day job at the time and tried to crash it, but was shunted aside by security.

I asked him about it a couple times and never got any more response than "I don't want to talk about it..."

Jack, I wish!  I grew up in Florida, but I've always been a Stevie fan (and a Texas blues affectionado).  I have been to Austin, and I must say that I love Chuy's (I can get good Mex in FL, but I can't get Tex-Mex.)  :)  Sorry, I can't tell from the picture who you are.

Nowadays, my favorite young blues guitarist lives just to the north of me over the boarder in Georgia.  Check out his playing:
http://media2.sonicbids.com/EPK/Assets/audio.mp3?file_id={FDCEB854-052A-44E0-B384-E1E7948FA553}

One of the first times I saw him was when got on stage with W.C. Clark at the Bradfordville Blues Club (he was maybe 13).  His recorded stuff isn't quite up to his live stuff, but impressive none the less.  His band mates are equally skilled.
http://www.jamieeubanks.com/  (this site won't load right on Firefox)

I'm bad and nationwide, but more famous in the world of global telecommunications geekdom than music; were you from Dallas in the day (or England/Germany) you'd know form the pic...

I kind of hate to keep going with this, since we are so very off topic, but what about the Winters?  I have got to say that of all the incredible blues to come out of Texas, directly or indirectly (Lighting, Gatemouth, T-bone, Pee-wee Crayton, Freddie King, and of course Stevie, and big bro Jimmie) Johnny Winters has a special place in my record collection.  He bridged a gap for me between the real old timers and the sixties revivalist guys, and made me dig deeper into the tradition.

Back