EMG Dave Gilmour Wired Pickguard

Had em in an Ash body Warmoth. Sound excellent, not organic like vintage Strat but shimmery and smooth. Great for loud soaring solos and rock stylings. I prefer a little nastier organic(natural clean) tone for R&B and blues but if I could afford it would have an extra Gilmour Strat around. I'm sure you would be happy with them especially if your a Gilmour fan (and can figure out what he is playing through). There is the battery thing as well which I'm not crazy about. best regards, Steve

Strat+EMG=Battery Box.....they are really worth it though.  The Gilmore set is the most versatiIe strat set up in this world. I've also had a SV set and it was the smoothest sounding strat I've ever owned.  (Very E.J. sounding)

While not so traditional, EMG's are quiet qualtiy pickups.

The battery life thing is not such a problem these days,the power drain is considerabley less than in the past....a single pick up with no add on circuits can run for up to 3000 hrs on one battery.
These pick ups sound great have a very low  background noise level and best of all do not require grounding to the guitars bridge...so thats a much reduced chance of a negative shock.
Some passive pick ups do have a slightly rawer blues edge...but as a wiring loom for a workhorse/road dog guitar are a great choice

I have The david Gilmore EMG prewired setup in one of my 4 warmoth strats, they do have a great smooth sound, I haven't quite figured out the active tone controlls yet, I should read the manuel.  Anyway, when i wanna play smooth clean stuff i use that strat, if i wanna AC/DC or VanHalen i play another guitar.

I believe guitar players like us need as many diferent guitars as women have shoes, And once you build a warmoth, you will never buy another guitar off the shelf.

John

Here's my EMG DG-20 (David Gilmour) equipped Fender American Standard Stratocaster:

Stratocaster.sized.jpg

Note that I replaced the EMG DG-20 pearloid pickguard with a standard WBW pickguard. Looked too "pimpy" with the pearloid.

My only complaint is the battery. Not how long it last, because that's okay (If you remember to unplugged the guitar), but rather the stuffing it inside the guitar. With standard SSS routing you have to cram it in between the 5-way switch and Volume pot. I wrap my battery with plasitc wrap to prevent shorts. An obvious solution is rout-out and install a battery box, but I don't want to hack up my Strat like that.

Too Pimpy Huh?  I got the perloid and it looks great, it goes good with the dingle balls hanging off the headstock.

I just had a thought as I was looking at the picture of your guitar there. On a battery setup like ours, How about install a new jack in the edge of the body just below the lower tone controll. and convert the normal strat jack route into a batery compartment?

Just thinking outloud    John

Attachments

• 2851med.jpg
    2851med.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 552
Proceeding in thinking out loud: why not inserting a stereo jack and taping the battery to the strap of your guitar and modifying your guitar cable...

..I will now stop thinking :-\

Alfang said:
I have The david Gilmore EMG prewired setup in one of my 4 warmoth strats, they do have a great smooth sound, I haven't quite figured out the active tone controlls yet, I should read the manuel. 

John

John,
One tone control scoops out the mids and the other boosts the mids. The EQs are called the SPC and the EXG.

How they sound with volume pot rolled down?

I can't find a decent sample on the net, all people play this pups with more than average gain,
what about low gain tone?

My only experience is dropping a prewired Gilmour set in a 90's Strat I was putting a Warmoth Pro neck on; decent set for a lot of applications especially if you've not into soldering, but to my ear not superior to many other SC Strats sets. If you primarily play through an effects chain, they're fine; if you're plugging directly into a tube amp, one of the Fender Custom Shop or other comparable "regular" SCs Strat sets sound better.

Alfang said:
Too Pimpy Huh?  I got the perloid and it looks great, it goes good with the dingle balls hanging off the headstock.

I just had a thought as I was looking at the picture of your guitar there. On a battery setup like ours, How about install a new jack in the edge of the body just below the lower tone controll. and convert the normal strat jack route into a batery compartment?

Just thinking outloud    John

hey john, i know this is an old post but i recently found that if you flip the jack over so it bulges up from the top of the guitar the small fender style jack and batery both fit under it. maybe not on a thinner body though.

I did that trick on an old 'an cheap strat copy, and it work.

I mounted the jack under the pickguard, like gibson SG, and the battery fitted the jack cavity without problem.

Alfang said:
I have The david Gilmore EMG prewired setup in one of my 4 warmoth strats, they do have a great smooth sound, I haven't quite figured out the active tone controlls yet, I should read the manuel.  Anyway, when i wanna play smooth clean stuff i use that strat, if i wanna AC/DC or VanHalen i play another guitar.

I believe guitar players like us need as many diferent guitars as women have shoes, And once you build a warmoth, you will never buy another guitar off the shelf.

John

Hi mate, do they sound different on different guitars?  What's the best combination you have tried?

I want to install one in my crappy Yamaha and replace that neck.  Thanks

Dimitr33, that's a brilliant idea, thanks man, as goofey as that may look, i may do it. I don't play in front of crowds anyway, and it does no permanant change to the axe  Thanks

i wish i could take credit for that one

http://www.langcaster.com/Pickup-Kitsets.html

scrole down alittle more than half way and you'll see it.

Notyethendrix said:
Hi mate, do they sound different on different guitars?  What's the best combination you have tried?

I want to install one in my crappy Yamaha and replace that neck.  Thanks

Basically, everything sounds different on different guitars; although active pickups seem to be much less affected by the guitar wood than passive pups.

That being said, if you're gonna spring for EMGs and a new neck, why not go all the way and pick up a new body?  The pre-finished alder strat bodies in the showcase are more than reasonable...

Also, I seem to remember (don't think I was hallucinating) reading in Bass Player magazine a couple years ago about P-bass active electronics where they hot-wired a cable to pump 48v phantom power and eliminate the hassle of removing the pickguard to get to the battery; though I fear this may be a moot point with 6-strings since very few guitarists use DI boxes with phantom power...

if you think david gilmore actually uses that endoresed set, you are freaking hilarious

its just a "tailored" sounding pickup, but i assure you, its not what he uses in concert, or in recording

bt if you all enjoy it, i can blast you away with properly wired passive dimarzios or sd

confederatewk said:
if you think david gilmore actually uses that endoresed set, you are freaking hilarious

i don't remember that being the question!

and elaborate on "properly wired" because obviously your the only man smart enough to know what that is.

Back