EMG Dave Gilmour Wired Pickguard

Yes, our new Confederate friend doesn't often have anything relevant to say... usually just a link back to his V which we've all seen.  Sheesh.  :tard:

confederatewk said:
if you think david gilmore actually uses that endoresed set, you are freaking hilarious

Au Contraire! (Confederate/hillbilly translation - Bullshit!) Go buy the recently released DVD "Remember the Night"; he doesn't play it anywhere near as much as the black Strat he's played from the Dark Side of the Moon days, but has a set installed in his red Strat, used to great effect on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" on the DVD.

hey now im proud of my baby

but when i refer to properly wired pickups..i reffer to high quality wires, high quality pots, a properly chosen pot selection, and cap, nice hot capacitors..not the cheap ones, also cusotm wound, or built pickups..lets say even a mellow 8.5k bumbucker even wired with a 2meg tone and a .08 cap and no volume would result in a super clean and sustain in a lp or gibson lets say

so mean lots of proper wiring configurations exist but surely we cannot concider emg active pickups as true active pickups

jump over to the carvin preamp module and attach ANY passive pickup, then we have a trully active setup, not a pre setermined charachterised EMG wich is not only limited to the wiring configurations but also limited to one pickup style

imagine a gibson 3 hum with dimarzio x2n in bridge, dimarzio evo in center, and s.d. d.distortion in neck...all wired with a 3way selector and 3 push pull tone at 2 meg(or even 1 meg works), and then all at anywhere between .022 -.088 cap...no volume pot, just tone, push pull to select single or humbucker......

tell em this isnt a sreamy dream of different tones, either hum or single at any configuration, even add a mega 5 way and get any combination....who sayd a emg is that great...i dont...and i always preach to throw them away......

but thats just me

and anyways, the v is sick, and tone worthy!

confederatewk said:
hey now im proud of my baby

It's cool man, we're just giving you a hard time (well, I am anyway).  I actually prefer passive basses anyhow.  I figure why make so much fuss about wood just to put active pups which override the tonality of the wood...

yeah i like to keep it organic

i wire hot pikcups and i use a hot wiring method...on all my guitars volume and gain can always be adjusted with a mixer or preamp, in fact tone can always be cut...but why bring up the tone when it can already be there

i like wood choices and passive choices

active usually has a unwanted characteristic...kinda like flat sounding

i hate emgs

fudge i hate them soo much where the lighter fluid i still have the old ones that came with my jackson pro

wow hot capacitors where can i get one.
i don't normally pick at people but you make it way too easy. we're all hear to inform, be imformed and talk guitars. nothing i say is meant to be personal but when you express opinions as facts and don't know the how's and why's of what your saying it distracts from the real info and the people who are here to learn. can ya just tone it down a bit? and maybe work on yer grammer skills.
oh and i hate emg's too but people swear by 'em.

i guess you took it literaly im not rating how HOT THE CAP IS, more or less expressing how i meant by its value

not only does a cap wired to tone tone pot roll off the highs but it also rolls off the current too, as a result caps that roll off more highs often bring down the response and power out of the pickup

hence a .04 cap on a pot rolls off more voltage compared to a .01 cap will still give u the adility to roll off tone but allows more pick dynamics to come through...becasue a hotter signal comes out

also i meant not the cheap frys bargain type capacitors

i also as said earlier refer to higher pot values and high quality pots and possibly lower cap values to make a hot high gain smoothly driven signal

and even if d.g. plays with a set of EMG's, its what inside fo them that matters......just cause its in the registered  david gilmore emg pickup casing, doesnt mean whats inside there is a david gilmore emg set....

tkae kirk hammet who swears on 81/85
but in concert he uses not emg 81/85 loaded sets, just a custom wound custom wired setup just with the emg covers on them

its a marketing thing, hes endorsed, not only does emg custom tailor his personal pickups, they also package them to sell to suspection visioneers watching him play!

I've been there and back with omitting volume controls, tone controls, and 2 meg volume/tone pots. Frankly, none of it (in my experience) adds up to anything revelatory or worth revisiting. Perhaps I lack the subtle ear for such things, but I'm deeply suspect of Ed Roman/Dan Torres/Foghorn Leghorn hype-speak as a result.

strange..??

ive found a direct result, ive taken a rr5 and a kevin bonds jackson i had, threw out both sets of pickups, after owning them for aprox 6 months to a year....and in one put dimarzio evo in br and s duncan jb in neck...added a 1 meg push pull and a 500k tone with a .022 cap...and automaticaly(of course re shielded and re grounded everything with a higher guage wire)  ATUMATICALY GAINED higher pick dynamics, more tone more volume, higher responce between notes, more defined notes.........

and i may add that was a rr5 i had that came with 81/85 emg active pickups....

and for my kevin bonds i had, wich i completely regret selling but the time was right and i needed money

i pulled the origional twin hotrailer...wich i did put in a old kramer i had that i gave to my dad....i placed it with a single volume/tone control that tapered tone and volume(500k), he likes it.,..but back to the point

i added a d. distorton to it with a push pull 2 meg pot and no volume, just tome with a .088 cap at first but founf it was soo hot a bassy at the end i needed to brighten it up, so i changed it to a .044 and it was perfect, subject in mind......the pots and the capacitor value is very important, and ive found all guitars ive aquired were stock with poor wire configurations

and in no case did i perform these mods and found a negative reaction it was all superb addon that would otherwise make the guitar rudimentary if not done....now they smash...the guitar is nice, but if u have a poor wiring or pickups, it doesnt acentuate the true dynamics some of us play

Ok, Confederatewk, let me get this straight: I've tried your Torres-style volume and tone control mods, didn't like them over the stock wiring. So, clearly I did something wrong, and my playing lacks "the true dynamics some of us play". On the other hand, you didn't like the EMG's that came with your Jackson, therefore all EMGs are shit and clearly Kirk Hammett and David Gilmour are merely fronting for the sake of lucrative endorsements and using some other pickups under the EMG covers. It's so blindingly obvious.

Wow, just...wow. I'll consider my ass pre-emptively kicked in any future discussion that might involve Confederatewk. You won the internet. Congrats, bro.

no the standard pickups were emg 81/85 wich are reguarded as tone worthy, and endorsed by kerry king, hammet etc...and along with he gilmore set, yes....he most likely doesnt use his set, barely any guitarist do

that infact yes they do it as a endorsement, they are pros, comon everybody, isnt this obvious??

BUT IN GENERAL  i cannot say how or what you did...but i can clearly hear the difference, i use high gain, high end amplification...i only play at over 100+ db full volume and at that kinda loudnes either clean silky rhythms or sharp articulate metal....pickups do make a difference

and i dont like emgs just based on thier proprietary desing they do color the natural tones, and they have overtones in undesirable areas

but maybe i can just hear the difference, maybe you cant

then again iver shielded and reshielded, used larger grounding cables made of fine angel wire, used high quality pots with high quality angel wire for my wiring, i swear by it

and i know the difference

and as it comes to professionals, well if everyone could buy thier sound, they would but too bad most of them get custom guitars made with custom radius's, custom neck angles and amps that are custom modded and tailored to thier exact specs

do u think dimebag took a regular off the sheft even 3k dean and played it in concert?? no

he has custom deans made, with multiplex radi-i  meaning at the top on the neck closest to his face it would taper froma 10-14, but at the other end it would jump from 12-16

why?? becaue he used much thicker guage strings at the top...and i dont mean a weird taper on the fretboard, just when they dress out the frets, they do it with weird taper for him, also his pickups were only made by bill lawrence, but aparently dean claims they make his guitar with dimbuckers?  hmm

any other examples you guys wana bring up??

cuz i got a box of em

on a second note....you think his amps were stock either, u think the krank and the randall amps he endorsed were the modesl he used or recorded with??  i dont think so...mad circuit changes, and mad modds

all great musicians do it, its like a secret....its what makes it them

and plus companies, only want to produce what is easy, what can be made and certified a signature product.....it is it....and some of david gilmoures guitars might have some off the shelf stuff, but i guarantee you that sucker has som hot shit uder his pickguards, and most likely one of a kind setups

confederatewk said:
i guess you took it literaly im not rating how HOT THE CAP IS, more or less expressing how i meant by its value

no i was cracking on you but i guess you didn't get that

confederatewk said:
also i meant not the cheap frys bargain type capacitors

so what is the relationship between price and tone, how much do i have to spend to sound like eric johnson?

p.s. i like the little green ones at radio shack, they match my uniform better.  :laughing7:

if u use the radio shack shit, your actually paying more

if u go to a guitar repair shop they are like ten cents each for te quality circuits, even about a dollar each for the orange drop versions

but typicaly, for eric johnsons and strat wise, id recoment just using a set of hotrails, wich are great quiet, and very loud responsive pickups....this said, depending on how you wire it up you can get a various set of tones......

i like the hot rails for strats....id say for a smoother sound get a set of hot rails, and use 500k for all the controlls volume tone and tone....this isnt done much, but it works great for single designed pickups, not so much for humbuckers

qlso use a orange drop cap , it charchterises the sound in a vintqge warm smooth form

for sure do not use radio shack circuits, that s ano no.....i mean think about it, its about sound, the composition of the circuit makes a huge difference!

and yah i dont get sarcasm very well

enjoy!

orange drop caps for a dollar? i never looked at the price in the states but in japan they are much much more than that, but i was really refering to the vintage/nos type stuff out there that is often something else and has been re covered to look like the ones use in old guitars. yes i know radio shack is over priced, i get stuff much cheaper online, hell we don't have radio shack this is japan. but for the record a mylar cap is a mylar cap, i don't care where you get it they sound just fine.

there are all kinds of hifi caps out there if you want to spend the money that all theory and experience says sound better than anything people have ever put in a guitar.
or you can take the japanese hifi aproach and use multiple cheap caps of diferent types all in parallel so they cancel each others poor charecteristics.
or people can stop worying about the things that don't matter much and practice more.

i don't use the tone for a neck pup unless i'm trying to sound like someone in particular. i do use it in the bridge at times because it can be too brite, not that i use the bridge pup much.

yeah i guess it really is preference, i tend to get things to sound bold and crisp, i also do use my bridge alot, in fact i only use high gain bridge, with mostly passthrough wiring where there is no volume, and or a small tone pot also is a fav where i use 1 meg push pull for coil tapping, and use anywhere from a .01 to a .04 cap, i stay at .02 usually, but in recording id go to a .01 but on stage ill use a .04...so for the most part i have .02 in all my gear

but without a volume pot, you can actually hear more of the difference from what u use, for instance i can tell when i play, high gain gain stuff, between fast shredding and strng dynamics vs pickup dynamics.....i swear i hear he difference
but everyone if different

Back