EMG 85 in bridge

M

metalman22105

I've seen a lot of dudes putting the EMG 85 in the bridge position instead of the 81, I'm considerin doing this with my new build, anyone have this setup and want to comment? all the youtube videos I've seen of this setup sounded good, but I want real opinions...

The 85 has higher output then the 81.  Thicker sound/more volume.

I actually use the neck position on my LP (85 there) and love ir for rythum.  Have an 85 in bridge on a test basis and love it.

Look for Chris_Lohmann's mockingbird in the "other" section.  I believe he did it with his, and he's got a pretty detailed review.

I've got a Strat I built with EMGs, and I have an 85 in the bridge and an 81 in the neck slot.  It works great! 

I've got another build, a WGD that is routed for 3 humbuckers and a battery box.  I'll be putting an 85 in the bridge, an HA in the middle, and a 60 in the neck; it also has a PA2.  :laughing7:

Awesome! Also, I've been toying with the idea of doing the 18volt mod for the emg's

metalman22105 said:
Awesome! Also, I've been toying with the idea of doing the 18volt mod for the emg's

I've done the 18v mod in my Strat.  The sound is a bit more organic, but still sounds lilke EMGs, if that makes any sense.

yeah totally. I've heard guys say that it gives more headroom, did you notice that?

there are a few guys doing the 85 in the bridge.  I think and the claim I've heard is the 85 is a little cleaner with more bottom end.  If your using a ultra high gain amp the extra distortion and high end of the 81 isn't nesessary I guess.  Having the extra dirt of the 81 at the neck could be cool also. That's the way I'm doing my next guitar anyway.

metalman22105 said:

I did a push/pull on my J-bass with EMGs that changed it from 9v to 18v.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=4729.0

I put an 85 in the bridge position of my LP (with an 81 in the neck) and I liked it as well.  I can't say exactly what the difference is because I wasn't able to do an A-B comparison, but it was cool, I haven't switched 'em back... Good thing about EMGs is that you can swap them out with relative ease due to the "quick connect" feature they started using a few years ago (no re-soldering).

I have been using an EMG 85 in the bridge, EMG S in the middle and an EMG 81 in the neck on all of my main work guitars for over ten years now. I have four Warmoth Strats with this combination. I've always thought that all guitars you see with the opposite configuration must be miss-prints. I've never liked 81's in the bridge. I find them to be too shrill and brittle there. The added power and low end of the 85 also helps compensate for the natural added volume and low end of the neck position.

briny001 said:
I put an 85 in the bridge position of my LP (with an 81 in the neck) and I liked it as well.  I can't say exactly what the difference is because I wasn't able to do an A-B comparison, but it was cool, I haven't switched 'em back... Good thing about EMGs is that you can swap them out with relative ease due to the "quick connect" feature they started using a few years ago (no re-soldering).

wait so i can take my 81 from my bridge and just swap it with my 85 in the neck??? thats it? is it really as easy as it sounds?

If you have the modern quick connect system, its a five minute swap during a string change.  Go for it!

ok so i just switched out my 81 bridge with the 85 neck and man this sounds amazing....i shoulda done this years ago.  i had the problem of my clean sound from the bridge sounding like crap (81)  and my neck (85) sounding muddy. Now i just swapped them and it solves both problems. I now know the power of the 85 its a very nice and balanced pup in the bridge. The 81 is great at the neck cause it tightens up but still remains smooth and articulate but not harsh sounding. Together its a bit bassy but now i can rock out on the bridge and when i switch to clean i dont have to worry about it sounding like poo. This is awesome...

Back