Embarrassingly stupid truss rod question...

O

oldmanriver

So, soon enough I'll be all set to go with my VIP build, and there's one thing I don't understand about the truss rod:

I don't know how to adjust it.

Now, hear me out. I've adjusted a number of guitar truss rods in my day, both on acoustics and solid body electrics. I've always found it to be fairly straight-forward. You insert the alan key in the hex-shaped socket, and just remember righty-tight, lefty-loosy. But, the truss rod on my Angled Warmoth neck doesn't resemble any truss rod I've seen before. It looks like this:

WN1086A.jpg

You guys know what I'm talking about. It's basically a threaded shaft that extends out almost a half-inch with a bullet shaped nut on it.  The nut can turn and come completely off, but I just have no idea how this works. This is the only place for truss rod access on the neck. There is no heel access or side-adjusting mechanism. And it simply appears that there is no place to insert an alan key.

I am clueless. Care to help a me out? Thanks in advance,

OldManRiver

Same rules apply, but you're turning a nut instead of a bolt. Tighten it to bow the neck, loosen it to relieve it.

Cagey said:
Same rules apply, but you're turning a nut instead of a bolt. Tighten it to bow the neck, loosen it to relieve it.

Thanks, Cagey. I am surprised I have to get a wrench in such a small cavity to turn that nut. What kind of wrench should I use to get the best access and torque?

I just test fit mine, and an 8mm or 9/32" socket fit on it (metric seemed a hair more snug).
I'm kinda happy this came up as I haven't adjusted mine yet because I'm sans strings at the moment.

OldManRiver said:
Cagey said:

Thanks, Cagey. I am surprised I have to get a wrench in such a small cavity to turn that nut. What kind of wrench should I use to get the best access and torque?

Many a truss rod adjusting nut has been rounded off for that very reason. It pays to get the right tool on it. Best tool is a deep-well thin-wall socket, but those aren't quite as easy to come by in single part quantities as a dedicated tool such as these...

Hex_Truss_Rod_Wrenches_sm.jpg

... from Stewart-MacDonald. You don't have to buy the whole set, but I'm not sure which size you need - perhaps someone else could help out here.

I was going to have the same question soon! I have an angled headpiece strat neck sitting here awaiting a body (which will hopefully arrive tomorrow!). I just took it out to try some things, and what seemed to work well was a 5/16 Kleintools hollow shaft nut driver. I bought this at Home Depot, found it in the electrical department (go figure). It's kind of a tight fit, but it works.

Back