Electric guitarists, I need your help!

Hey, I am a University student in the UK currently studying Popular Music. This is my last year now and I have to produce a dissertation, so my chosen topic is on the sustain properties of an electric solid-bodied guitar, and more specifically, the neck joint and the bridge type.

If you could all take the time to fill in this short questionnaire I would be entirely grateful!

Thanks for your time :)

Mike

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid=g73uof1lz3mbijf220068

There ya go, although  i do not have any experience with Bigsby tremelo/vibrato bridges nor do I have identical replicas to isolate the variables.  :redflag:

Mike,

I responded, and I have some feedback for you.

Your survey does a fair job of evaluating what prejudices or biases players might have with respect to bridges' and neck joints' effect on an instruments tendency to sustain.  If that is the goal of your survey, you'll probably get a decent idea.

But if your goal is to evaluate the objective effect of the various bridge and joint types on guitars' tendency to sustain, you need a whole different methodology.  One would need to plan a rigorous evaluation of different guitar bridge types and control for lumber species, pickup type and distance from strings, playing style of the musician (or devise a mechanical guitar player that would eliminate technique as a variable), and so on.

Where I'm headed with this:  I'm not sure your survey will get you where you want to go.  But it may not even be necessary to retool your research methodology.  Often one can learn a lot by evaluating the shortcoming in one's methodology and using that as the basis for proposing further research.  I've had good luck with that approach in my academic writing.  Intellectual honesty is worth a lot.

Peace

Bagman

You need to bear in mind that where you ask will have an effect on the sort of answers you get. Most people here favour bolt-ons with vibratos of some kind so they're gonna tell you that bolt-ons are as good as, if not better than, every other construction. If you were to ask at a Carvin forum, they'd tell you neck-through is the only construction method you should ever consider. Ask on a Gibson forum and they'll tell you that set neck with a tune-o-matic is the only thing you should ever use.

You're missing out the most important fatcor, anyway, which is the type of wood used. Neck-through is by far the worst construction method for sustain in terms of the mechanics of how the guitar is put together, but it usually works out as having fantastic sustain because most neck-throughs use maple for the neck and body centre. The maple is what gives them such great sustain, not the construction.

Then there's things like magnetic pull on the strings, set up, truss rod style, headstock angle, etc, etc, etc.

Also, vibrato =/= tremolo.

No offence to the OP, but there is m ich more to sustain than neck joint or bridge. 

IMHO, a useless survey, unless you are trying to establish popular opinion.

FWIW, however, I saw the Floyd Rose bridge under locking, and the Fender trem under floating. Floyds are both locking and floating, and a standard Fender Strat trem does not float.

^ You can have Floyds that don't float—they can be used either recessed or non-recessed—and you can set Fender bridges to float. In fact, Fender's recommended set up is to have the bridge floating.

Done and I too would like to see the outcome of your survey if you wouldn't mind posting when finished.
Good luck &  :rock-on:

Ace Flibble said:
^ You can have Floyds that don't float—they can be used either recessed or non-recessed—and you can set Fender bridges to float. In fact, Fender's recommended set up is to have the bridge floating.

They still float whether recessed or non-recessed. It's a matter of how you setup the guitar. Strat bridges can float if you want, too, but that doesn't mean it's common practice for people to do it. Most people don't float their Strat bridges, and though many like flat top setups with Floyds, it's most popular to have a full floating setup.

michaeljdespres said:
so my chosen topic is on the sustain properties of an electric solid-bodied guitar
Seen this thread on another forum.

What about Chambered Bodies  :dontknow:
Or
Bodies with Worm-Holes    :icon_biggrin:

Back