I like my guitars like I like my women -

ALL NATURAL!  :headbang1:

line6man said:
Creepies said:
I like my guitars like I like my women -

ALL NATURAL!  :headbang1:

+1!

Epoxy is not all natural.  :icon_scratch:

Anyway, about the ebonol argument... I can see why it appeals, no feeding raw wood with oil or getting your nails in the grain.  The look is something too; Gibson dyes their ebony fretboards to be solid black.  Personally I have no problem with ebony or rosewood, they both look and feel great to me.

Epoxy is not all natural.  :icon_scratch:

well, you got me there, but epoxy is no different than a nitro or poly finish on a neck...
the wood is natural, but the (coating) is not.

what i meant by the +1 to natural woods is that i would rather have a natural wood like ebony than a synthetic material like ebonal.

side note, not that I understand the science too well. I attend SUNY ESF ( State University of New York Environmental Science and Forestry) where a lot of the modern technologies of wood were researched and many developed. SUNY ESF pioneered plastic injected woods of all types as well as much of the technology behind modern laminates. acrylicized woods are a fairly recent development and to be honest I don't know too much about them, but I want to thank you. Whenever anyone mentions a wood i haven't heard of, or a chemical process relating to wood I get to go to the college library and dig up every tedious detail until I understand it. i actually quite enjoy it, so thanks. Also, for you acoustically minded, a professor and I are using pure ammonia gas to bend wood soundboards (tops) from 1/16 inch to 3/4 inch thick with the intention of the retention of harmonic nodes.

line6man said:
Epoxy is not all natural.   :icon_scratch:

well, you got me there, but epoxy is no different than a nitro or poly finish on a neck...

what i meant by the +1 to natural woods is that i would rather have a natural wood like ebony than a synthetic material like ebonal.

it's made from paper which is made from wood

GoDrex said:
line6man said:
Epoxy is not all natural.   :icon_scratch:

it's made from paper which is made from wood

no it isnt, is it?

well either way...
an ebony fretboard/fingerboard is a tree cut down, sawed up and sanded down. it was born from nature.
ebonal, even if its made of real wood, is not natural in the sense that it has been modified.
it would be nice if somebody had a video about how ebonal is made so we can know for sure what it is.

Whoa, relax guys  :eek: :eek:

I think it would be a cool option for Warmoth to offer... it's got a lot of custom-guitar-cred.  :guitaristgif:  I probably wouldn't get it but I think "cheaper, stronger, blacker" will appeal to a lot of people.

knuckle_head said:
line6man said:
i guess its best to admit when i am wrong.
but to be fair, i still think you guys are all nuts LOL.

but still...
even when dyed black, ebony has a "wood" look to it.
ebonal has a plastic look to it.
completly "flat" with no pours or grain in it.

If I may - the stuff (garolyte) I get to use does have a grain to it as it seems they use black or dyed-black layers of cellular material along with the resin so that when the board is radiused a subtle grain presents itself. I used to use ebony exclusively but grew tired of how it moved/shrank/cracked in time. The longer/wider the ebony the more problematic it can be.

Besides, the garolyte is absolutely black and buffs out to a reasonably high gloss with no finish on it what-so-ever. It does indeed sound like ebony.

Whoa, a first time poster into the fray!  :headbang1:

Welcome, and that garolyte stuff sounds pretty sweet from how you just described it.  Sounds like you know your shit!  Have you been building and not showing us??  :sad1:

Back