Easiest Black Finish?

cadred

I'm thinking about doing my first build, a Telecaster (probably ash or alder body, maple neck).

For the body, is it possible to get good results using a water or alcohol based stain under some Tru oil?

I don't really want a high gloss finish, as I currently have a Faded Red Flying V which has an open grain and a satin finish and I'm looking for something roughly in that ballpark. A finish that's (relatively) easy and looks good.

You see it more with carving guys than on guitars, but I've been contemplating black stain and tru oil or wax. Believe it or not, you CAN buff tru oil up to gloss if you want (and have like prisoner levels of free time and determination).

Hah, well I don't quite have that amount of time, but I don't really need high gloss. Just something that looks good and holds up for a while.

6-8 coats of Tru oil will do the trick for what you want. Here's a mahogany body with 8 coats, and it's a bit glossier than the pics show. But Swarfrat is correct, the more time and effort you put in, the glossier it will get. I'm too lazy for that though, when if i want glossy, I just spray em'...

cadred said:
That's a nice looking axe.

Thanks. Don't want to derail this thread, so there's more pics in the misc guitars gallery if you're interested. The rosewood neck/ziricote fretboard is the best part.

Here's what Crash did with his time while waiting on the parole board
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=19656.0
tru-oil-showoff.jpg

I did pretty much exactly that, although I was going for a 'blackburst' finish, which I think I got.
Black grain filler to bring out the grain in the swamp ash, though I should have been more thorough in filling and sanding before the stain.  Stain will show up every imperfection in your sanding.  This is with 8-10 coats of tru-oil.

Back