Earvana nuts

hannaugh said:
GoDrex said:
hannaugh said:
bwbass said:
hannaugh said:
I ordered an Earvana nut when I ordered my LP.  Now I'm wondering if it is going to be corian or plastic.  Still got 4-6 weeks left before shipping. 
The ones we install we mill out of blocks of Corian, exactly the same as our other installed nuts.  The ones we sell separately come from Earvana and are injection-molded plastic.

I can't change it either, huh?  Noooooooo!!!

I'll think I'll be okay.  If it really annoys me (which I doubt it will), I'll change it later.  I think I'll be too busy flying out of the walls of my mind (my friend's favorite expression) at the fact that I even have a high end electric for that to bother me.  At least in the beginning... later on down the road I'll probably do some little changes as I see fit. 

this is what happened to me and started off my insane nut odyssey that completely messed up my mind and took years off of my life. :laughing7:

I forgot to mention that I haven't be able to find a decent tech or luthier in my area. What happened was I ordered the earvana retrofit for my LP, and while I was waiting the 8 weeks for it to be finished, I had one put on my strat and I hated it. So I then didn't want the same thing on my LP, but it was too late for Warmoth to put the nut on for me. Then much weirdness and suck ensued. :icon_scratch:

yeah, i wasn't fond of the earvana either
sounds weird kinda right ?

something bothers me about it and i have no idea what it is.

Well I think I'd really like the OEM ones that Warmoth is doing now. It's the two piece retrofit ones that I didn't care for. I liked what it did for making chords play more in tune, but didn't care for the actual nut itself.

I think some people don't like the way the guitar sounds with a compensated nut, because they've played a normal set up for years and every great recording they like uses the standard set up. It sort of makes it into something different that isn't what we're used to hearing.

Whoa, that was weird.  My last reply on this thread I had that quote and then a whole message under it, but it only posted the quote part.  And now I forgot what I said.
Probably something like "Oh well, if I don't like it I'll change it out with something else."

my opinion...

this kind good:
recessed_string_nut.jpg

This kind bad:

fret_extended_4.jpg
ERG3I.jpg

interesting
you think there's a difference between them ?

you think i should get the OEM one on my warmoth LP ?
i made 2 nuts already (from blank bone) , came out pretty good, i can handle putting that myself i think.

Read their page about it. To get the OEM one they modify the fretboard.

I think the solid one piece one is better than the two piece one, yes.

Ang3lus said:
interesting
you think there's a difference between them ?

you think i should get the OEM one on my warmoth LP ?
i made 2 nuts already (from blank bone) , came out pretty good, i can handle putting that myself i think.

Earvana Nut Prep is not yet available on tilt back headstocks.

It is only available on straight headstocks at this time, limited to Warmoth Pro, Vintage Modern, and Conversion necks with Strat or Tele styled headstocks.  Take a good look at the info in the link above.

screw corian. I want brass! The moment they budge out brass (cut) nuts, not even contemplating compensated or not, I'm the first one to buy a bulkload of these!!I love the tone and feel of brass. the spank, the brightness, the trebledetail, the low end thump.. nothing beats brass.

I meant after receipt of the neck, if people feel the slots should be lower. I should have stated that more clearly, sorry.

Whitebison, you're saying if the nut is cut a bit too high? All the warmoth nuts are cut a bit too high and tight - I even got one which was cut much much too high. Better that than too low and loose. You should expect to have to fine tune the nut slots on any nut you buy from anyone.

Yes, what I mean is, when I buy a neck with the new Earvana, and I will, if I want to lower the string slots, will I have to take any precautions that are not necessary for the Earvana retrofit or original nut? Does this new nut design/process entail any new considerations? Obviously, I need to make sure I have some back angle, etc., but I just wanted to be sure in case there was anything particular. Check twice, file once, I suppose.

whitebison66 said:
Yes, what I mean is, when I buy a neck with the new Earvana, and I will, if I want to lower the string slots, will I have to take any precautions that are not necessary for the Earvana retrofit or original nut? Does this new nut design/process entail any new considerations? Obviously, I need to make sure I have some back angle, etc., but I just wanted to be sure in case there was anything particular. Check twice, file once, I suppose.
Hello Whitebison66,

You would file the slots the same way you would with a standard nut. No extra precautions apply.

DangerousR6 said:
Ohhhhhhh, EAR vana...... :doh: I thought ya'll were talking about Nirvana's nuts.....i was like ...
wtf.gif
Man, ya'll are some dry mofo's..... :binkybaby:

DangerousR6 said:
DangerousR6 said:
Ohhhhhhh, EAR vana...... :doh: I thought ya'll were talking about Nirvana's nuts.....i was like ...
wtf.gif
Man, ya'll are some dry mofo's..... :binkybaby:

Well, I was going to say that Kurt's are probably pretty moldy by now, but I thought that maybe I would go to hell.

Back