earvana and conversion neck 24.75

Archie Macfarlane

Hey,does anyone know if the earvana nut comes tweaked slightly for the 24.75 conversion necks? Theoretically it would make sense right bc it's a different scale ?...

Those who have an earvana'd conversion neck do you find an intonation improvement over regular guitars / unvana'd 24.75 conversion builds

I asked the same question to the people st Earvana, but never heard back. I ordered an Earvana nut on my first Mustang neck (that's 24" scale) and I didn't think intonation was better. Just the opposite.

My conclusion: save your money and get the conversion neck with an ordinary nut. 

Not that I am aware of, but the difference would be so slight as to possibly not be an issue. Interesting to know whether there is a difference in earvana nuts for different scale lengths nonetheless if anyone knows?

I like the ones I have on 25.5 if that helps.

I've never heard of any difference, either. I agree with Stratamania that if there were a difference, it would probably be vanishingly small. Besides, you're mostly compensating for string stretch anyway, which also isn't going to change a great deal on the different scales.

As for how much difference having one installed makes? It's audible on some open chords if you really listen for it. So, if you play a lotta folk music, maybe you'll appreciate it. But, it's subtle at best. I'll not likely ever spend that money again. To my way of thinking, since there's no big trick to it and it should never have been patented in the first place, all nuts should be fabricated that way in the interest of correct manufacturing. But, if they're not, the sun will still rise. I'm not going to pay $40+ for a $4 nut whose effect you damn near need to have instrumentation to measure.

I have a Earvana nut on a 24-3/4 scale guitar and I notice NO difference from a regular nut. And I'm not tone-deaf. I notice the slightest out-of-tuneness and it drives me nuts. I haven't noticed any improvement with the Earvana.

Some good information here. http://www.mimf.com/nutcomp/

Basically:

1) shorter scale
2) higher action (at the nut - the bridge doesn't matter much at the other end of the neck)
3) higher tension

Anything that causes extra tension required to fret the first few frets will also sharpen the note.

An extreme example:
nut_blues.jpg

My very first Warmoth build was a Tele with a  24.75" conversion neck & an Earvanna nut.

Without getting the guitar out and firing up the gear, IIRC, the Tele does get in tune quicker on the Strobe than say another Warmoth build with a standard 25.5" neck & nut.

I have always been wary if the Tele with the Earvanna might sound 'out' with other guitars. My hearing is affected and I wouldn't trust it BUT I don't hear a difference. Not saying there is or isn't, just that I can't hear it.

I think if I got the strobe out and did some intonation testing it might show the Tele with the Earvanna is closer to pitch than other guitars but  :dontknow:

My first Warmoth was a 7/8 Strat with a 24" Mustang neck, also with an Earvana nut.
I ended up buying a new neck with a normal nut because I found the Earvana nut made the guitar intonate worse. Tuning was difficult. To get it somewhat ok I had to tune by fretting notes with my left hand and reaching over with my right hand to the tuner. Tuning by picking open strings and tuning with my left hand didn't work since that would have made the notes of the open strings - and only these - in tune. Then any fretted note was off. But the other way around gave a better result. Not perfect, but better.
So a standard nut gave me much better tuning and intonation.

I have 3 -7/8th Strats, a 7/8th Tele with Mustang/Jaguar necks and a 24.75 conversion Ed O’Brian Strat. When I’m back home from Calgary I’ll strobe them with my 007, Reverend Willy Mexican Lottery strings to see if my sense of improved tuning was just Placebo.

Back