E-Dorian / C-Lydian Fusion recording with my Warmoth + Line6 POD HD500

wolbai

In the past months I have worked on my speed picking technique to increase my soloing tool box and to spice up my lead parts with some faster runs. But there is still a long way to go for me until I will be satisfied with the level and to execute it adequate on gigs.

I therefore have programmed a Jazz-Rock Fusion type backing track with my “band-in-the-box” software to practice 3-notes per string speed picking licks.

I am by far more a Blues Rock player rather than a shredder. But it generates an additional level of dynamic when throwing in some faster licks in between.

With the exception of the melody line, the guitar recording is completely improvised and recorded in one take and therefore “spiced up” with some minor errors  :laughing7:

I have recorded the guitar part with my Warmoth (H-S-H) build. This is by far the most versatile and best sounding guitar I have ever owned.

I have used my Line6 POD HD500 modeler with the Marshall Plexi Lead Full Amp model. In front of the amp model I have included the Blue Comp Treble compressor and the Jumbo Fuzz distortion pedal in the signal chain. I love this amp model: very versatile and it reacts nicely on picking dynamics. I consider this as one of the best amps models in the POD HD.

After the amp model I have used the Dimension chorus to get a nice and smooth guitar tone. Reverb and Stereo Delay was mixed with the Cubase Artist 7.0 recording software. The POD HD500 modeler was connected via XLRs to a TASCAM audio interface.

In the YouTube info section you can find the chord progression and some scale suggestions for improvisation. For those who like the backing track to play along: there is also a link to download it in the YouTube info section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22uCMCrzNfQ

Let me know what you think about it. Thanks for watching!

Nice. The tone out of the POD is pretty good with better touch than I would have expected.

Thanks for your feedback!

I think the Line6 modelling gear is sometimes underrated. I am gigging with a Line6 DT50-Head (which has a digital pre amp section and an analog power amp section) and a Line6 POD HD500 for 2 1/2 years now without system failures. The gear is pretty well integrated and easy to use once you have gone through a learning curve.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Nice tone, tasty licks, great quack on that neck pickup, what model?

Details are in this video at 5:22 Suhr and Kinman.

http://youtu.be/SSSXcOE_ncY

I remember this guitar, I think it's nicely done as is the playing on this backing track etc.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Nice tone, tasty licks, great quack on that neck pickup, what model?

Sorry for responding late. Thanks to stratamania for his comments in the meantime  :)

These Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups are pretty amazing versatile IMO. Although they are pretty hot by their specs, you can play nearly every music style with them:

- They have a fantastic note separation; even with lots of gain in the signal chain each note is very clear and separated. This applies also to chords which is even more
  amazing to me. As a flip side of the medal: their are unforgivable to wrong notes.

- The tone cleans up very nicely with the guitar volume knob.

- They have excellent coil splitting capabilities. In a H-S-H configuration, very nice Stratocaster like tones too. 

wolbai

The jam is fun, and the pups sound pretty good through youtube compression/mangling, but I gotta tell you, the snare hitting a sixteenth after the 4th beat in the verse drives me nuts.  In my mind's ear, I can imaginee a human with a little swing in their style giving it kind of a samba feel, but as it is, it sounds like the drum machine was just programmed wrong.  I'm reminded of Zappa's audience participation dance contests where the band would play in 21, only not-on-purpose. 

Back