Dyed spalt maple..

JamesL

Would it be a sin to want to try and see what a dye or trans finish would look like On spalt??

been wondering this for quite a while, I think it would look quite interesting.

ZGOZZ

JamesL said:
I've never seen one either, but I think it could look amazing.... :icon_scratch:

I asked the same thing a few weeks ago, Love to see what it would look like.
I think it would look good different.

Patrick from Davis

From what I've read, I do not think it is possible to dye spalt without having it go uber splotchy.  They impregnate it with epoxy to toughen it up, so I am guessing that you'd have to spray toner on the first couple of finish layers to get the color to work properly.  But, that being said, I have seen a couple of tobacco bursts on spalt and they looked dandy.  I dunno, white or black binding, decisions decisions decisions...
Patrick

DocNrock

Patrick from Davis said:
I dunno, white or black binding, decisions decisions decisions...
Patrick

I personally think the black binding looks uber cool with the black spalt figuration, but that's just me.

jackthehack

Dye = Fugeddaboutit!
Trans = Will work; you're applying transparent toner over the top; there HAVE been a couple of spalted maple axes done in trans I can remember seeing here or on the old board, amber and tobacco burst. I

NonsenseTele

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=agile+spalted+maple&_sacat=See-All-Categories

SkuttleFunk

DocNrock said:
Patrick from Davis said:
I dunno, white or black binding, decisions decisions decisions...
Patrick

I personally think the black binding looks uber cool with the black spalt figuration, but that's just me.

black binding on an uber figured spalt top  :blob7:

VRB06404JJ_Front.jpg

yea baby!

all the best,

R

DangerousR6

NonsenseTele said:
Yes and I would throw you into the Inquisition's Fire, personally  :evil4:
I'm gonna have to agree with Fernando on this one. And request that you be burned at the stake for the mere mention on such travesty...
sterb082.gif

DangerousR6

NonsenseTele said:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=agile+spalted+maple&_sacat=See-All-Categories
I wouldn't concider any of those spalted maple. More like wild maple..... :dontknow:

DangerousR6

DocNrock said:
Max said:
I'm kinda partial to that  :icon_jokercolor:

Doug's Tele is going to kick some serious arse!  Cosmetically AND sonically!   :icon_thumright:

Max said:
I'm kinda partial to that  :icon_jokercolor:

Thanks you Doc, and Max...Nothing here but clear epoxy with a clear semi-gloss finish. The epoxy really brought out the figure in the spalt..

And Max, pink towels aren't good for anything else but to do the dirty work on.... :icon_thumright: