drilling holes for tuning machines

I'm actually pleased you got the wrong ferrules :icon_biggrin: it gives me another chance to talk you out of the heat thing. I'm not saying it wouldn't work but I just get this vision of a guy who's nervous about drilling holes going boldly forward with hot metal on a brand new finish. I go slowly round the hole with a needle file. If you haven't got those, sandpaper wrapped around a piece of dowel or a pencil works great :icon_thumright:

and push them in with?  how exactly should the fit be?  should it be snugged?  i'm drilling the holes in my neck for my tuners right now.  very nerve racking.  i can't wait for it to end. 

i'm drilling the holes in my neck for my tuners right now.  very nerve racking.  i can't wait for it to end

Dude, it will be less nerve racking if you don't drill and type at the same time!!!   :laughing3:  :laughing11:

Once you get the holes cleaned of finish the ferrules should be able to be tapped in. If the hole is seriously too small you will find it obvious. Don't bash too hard or you might split the wood (Very undesirable!) They only need to be tight enough to stay in  which is why the sides are ribbed. I use a wooden block wrapped in cloth as a dolly and a small hammer to hit the block. Just start very gently and make sure it's level first then light and firm taps till it's home. After that there's just 5 to go........easy!!

sweet, thanks.  i just finished the tuners a little while ago.  mission accomplished.  they're nice and even, and i didn't have a single problem with the screws.  i'm not worried much about the ferrules at all now.  should have this finished by friday probably. 

Attaboy catphish...now you're gettin' it. Worry never got a job done. Just tackle the ferrules like the tuners, don't be afraid to ask advice and if you have a problem just backtrack. Clean up the holes edges, then sit it in level and tap it in. If it won't go in, backtrack......start over with the sandpaper till it will. I'm looking forward to seeing some great pics of this here geetar.  :icon_thumright:

well, i'm happy to report an almost complete success!  last night i worked on putting it together for nearly 5 hours, and everything came out great.  i just got the ferrules and i'm gonna install them now and then set up my action and whatnot.  any tips for setting up my action?  i know im gonna have to adjust my humbucker and stuff, but mainly i heard there were some ways to check to make sure you did it right with harmonics?  or measuring?  any tips would be greatly appreciated.  once i get that done, i'll string it all up and post some pictures for you guys. 

Best tip I can think of right now is to fit the strings up first and then see what needs fixing. My old grandpappy used to say..."pump the tyres up first, then balance the wheels!!" :icon_jokercolor:

update:  well i took it in to my local music shop where a guy that works there, who i've come to know took a look at it and helped get it all set up and adjusted.  he found that i must've went wrong somewhere with the wiring because my bridge pickup wasn't getting a signal at all.  so i took it home and looked at it and tried to figure it out, but no luck.  i took it back, and they're gonna help me and get it figured out.  it was weird too, because my tone knob was having no effect what so ever.  i do feel pretty good however, because i trust this guy, and he's really cool with me.  he's been hooking me up and whatnot, and he's gonna make sure it gets done properly.  anyway, the main reason i'm letting you guys know this is because it means i won't be able to get any pictures up until sometime mid next week.  oh well.  it's very beautiful though.  i'm a little bummed i didn't get to play it yet, but soon.  oh, and also, today someone bought my banjo off ebay so yay!!!  finally.  hahaha. 

That's great news catphish. Congratulations from all of us at the warmoth unofficial banjo appreciation society. Lookin' forward to seeing this machine in the gallery.  :rock-on:

well i used the seymour duncan wiring diagram for a tele with a humbucker on neck and a single coil for the bridge.  it was a bit confusing though because the wiring diagram for the three way switch was different looking from the switch i had, and i just bought a tele wiring kit from stewmac.  my friend helped me quite a bit and he knows a little about wiring.  he just wired up his wgd and the wiring for that is a little more complex than a 2 pot tele. 

Worry never got a job done.

On the other hand, a healthy amount of... respect, will keep you from sawing on a $300 piece of wood while doing tequila shots, or hammering in your ferrules in time to Metallica....

catphish_wood_dog said:
well i used the seymour duncan wiring diagram for a tele with a humbucker on neck and a single coil for the bridge.  it was a bit confusing though because the wiring diagram for the three way switch was different looking from the switch i had, and i just bought a tele wiring kit from stewmac.  my friend helped me quite a bit and he knows a little about wiring.  he just wired up his wgd and the wiring for that is a little more complex than a 2 pot tele. 

Your description is still confusing me. Do you mean you tried to use a Tele wiring diagram, but had a Gibson style switch rather than a Tele/Fender 3 way? If that is the case, just use the SD diagram for an LP with single vol/tone like this:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w

no no no no.  i have normal tele wiring, the only difference is that i am using a humbucker for the neck pickup.  thanks for your help though jack.  it's in the music shop, and they'll get it back to me in a couple of days.  can't wait to post pictures and see what you guys think.

Back