Dream bass

WarmothRules

Senior member
Messages
313
What would your dream warmoth bass build consist of?
Mine would be

Z bass body, walnut with tung oil finish, LP head stock neck with a 1-1/2" inch graphite nut, maple neck tung oil finish with ebony board no face dots, only side dots, 24 extra jumbo frets. Graphite nut, Hipshot Bass Tremolo- 4 String Bass Bridge in black, Gotoh GB7 Bass Tuners in black, EMG-35DC pickups one in the neck and one in the bridge position, with the EMG BTC System all wired up with the pickups with two 9 volt batteries wired in series to increase head room and enhance over all performance. Now that would be one shredin bass. CAN YOU SAY SLAP!!!  :toothy12:
 

SkuttleFunk

Senior member
Messages
1,156
already built it - for a customer

51TeleP_8.jpg


Ash body
Maple/Maple neck
custom Nordstrand pickups (SCPB 5-string + BigSingle)
custom pickguard
Hipshot hardware

it came out even better than I had imagined, and it sounds better than it looks

all the best,

R
 

Wyliee

Senior member
Messages
1,931
Tough call...  There's really no way for one bass to cover all possible sounds and situations.  I've been contemplating a Gecko 6 for some time now. Maple/maple neck with purpleheart stringers, mahogany body with walnut top.  Delano MM pickup with piezo bridge.  Possibly running a Ghost MIDI implementation for my Axon MIDI convertor.  That's about as close to my dream bass as I can get.  Granted, I'd still need a P, a fretless and a few other basses just to round out the stable.

-Eric.
 

nathan a

Senior member
Messages
1,836
Someday, somehow, I'll do a fretless gecko 5. Purpleheart/ebony neck; swamp ash/walnut (or figured maple) body. Electronics... who knows
 

tfcreative

Senior member
Messages
200
Medium Gecko 5:

Body - Mahogany w/ Flamed Redwood Top (not normally available, but we're dreaming, right?)
Neck - Bubinga w/ wenge board, peghead veneer to match top, no dots
Harware - Hipshot individual bridges and ultralight tuners
Pickups - Nordstrand Big Singles
Preamp - Aguilar or Audere, haven't decided
 

Wyliee

Senior member
Messages
1,931
tfcreative said:
Medium Gecko 5:

Body - Mahogany w/ Flamed Redwood Top (not normally available, but we're dreaming, right?)
Neck - Bubinga w/ wenge board, peghead veneer to match top, no dots
Harware - Hipshot individual bridges and ultralight tuners
Pickups - Nordstrand Big Singles
Preamp - Aguilar or Audere, haven't decided

Hmm.... I seem to recall seeing some figured redwood recently.  Your dream bass might be a little closer to completion than you realize!  I'd go with the Audere preamp.

-Eric.
 

NonsenseTele

Senior member
Messages
8,256
hummmm Mine is quite simple mixed with exotic...

Purpleheart neck
Ebony or Ziricote fingerboard (if Ziri, a matching headstock would be needed)
Black Korina body with a top (not decided yet, would be more from tone, something brightle, if possible 1/2" thick)
Music Man pickups (I really don't understand much about basses pickups, so I don't know exactly which one... something that I can play from rock n' roll like AC/DC to hard/heavy)
String-thru-body bridge (again don't know much about basses)
Does exist locking tuners to bass?? ??? :icon_scratch:

This bass is my idea to punchiest-bass-tone-to-conquer-the-world  :icon_biggrin:
 

Shmoopie

Senior member
Messages
1,582
Neck:  wenge/ ebony board warhead neck 1.5 graphite nut ss frets.  hipshot tuners and stuff 
http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=236
http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=93
http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&relate=1&p=54

Body:  black korina g4 body w/ kick ass bridge
http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=259

Pups:  http://emgpickups.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Bass&categoryid=31&catalogid=184 wired to a series/parallel/single switch, then wired to an out of phase (with self) switch
http://emgpickups.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Bass&categoryid=31&catalogid=180 wired to a parallel/series switch

Electronics:  master volume, balance, and a varitone. http://www.guitar-mod.com/images/varitone/varitone2.jpg

Amp:  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Warwick-Xtreme-5.1-500W-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=483064
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Warwick-611-Pro-900W-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=600516

that is the thing that keeps me awake at night, well...    that and the voices.
 

tfcreative

Senior member
Messages
200
Wyliee said:
Hmm.... I seem to recall seeing some figured redwood recently.  Your dream bass might be a little closer to completion than you realize!  I'd go with the Audere preamp.

-Eric.

Seriously, don't jerk me around. I need more info!
 

Wyliee

Senior member
Messages
1,931
tfcreative said:
Seriously, don't jerk me around. I need more info!

Email me in about 6 weeks.  That's all I'm gonna say for now! :icon_thumright:

-Eric.
 

Tweed

Senior member
Messages
451
Just about any good-quality "proven" vintage upright bass! Nothing more beautiful or toneful!
 

CD

Senior member
Messages
573
It would have to be like a thunderbird bass, but with a more p bass sound.
 

ibanezlover

New member
Messages
15
I know that this doesn't exist, but a Gecko 5 doubleneck with fretted and fretless necks would be nice.

I don't play bass, but if I had a bass like that I'd learn.
 

willyk

Senior member
Messages
1,278
The first bass that really fired me up was a fiesta red precision. It looked so cool it accelerated puberty. I've got my walnut jazz, my feral 54 model, a Warwick, a Burns and a couple more P's besides but they don't float my boat like those old red/tortoiseshell Fenders did. Ah hell I'm gonna have to build one...who started this freakin' post anyway?
 

Chris of Arabia

Senior member
Messages
376
Funny this thread should sit here, I was only browsing the bass section of Warmoth yesterday. Now I can't say I know an awful lot about basses per se, but I did have an idea that what I wanted was a alder bodied Jazz with a rosewood on maple neck. Not exactly exotic I hear you say, but a very traditional combination. The real trick is what to put on it - I know nothing about the pickup side of things, but was thinking that I'd like to go down the active route with something that at least looks like a standard Jazz setup. Anyone offer any suggestions? I'd like the sound to be able to cover all the bases so to speak, primarily rock/pop; maybe something that would work in a 'Massive Attack' type setting. Finishes will have to remain a secret, as maybe I've already seen something in the showcase that fits the bill perfectly and I don't want you lot out there grabbing it before I do...  :laughing7:
 

willyk

Senior member
Messages
1,278
Chris of Arabia said:
Funny this thread should sit here, I was only browsing the bass section of Warmoth yesterday. Now I can't say I know an awful lot about basses per se, but I did have an idea that what I wanted was a alder bodied Jazz with a rosewood on maple neck. Not exactly exotic I hear you say, but a very traditional combination. The real trick is what to put on it - I know nothing about the pickup side of things, but was thinking that I'd like to go down the active route with something that at least looks like a standard Jazz setup. Anyone offer any suggestions? I'd like the sound to be able to cover all the bases so to speak, primarily rock/pop; maybe something that would work in a 'Massive Attack' type setting. Finishes will have to remain a secret, as maybe I've already seen something in the showcase that fits the bill perfectly and I don't want you lot out there grabbing it before I do...  :laughing7:

I've got the perfect setup for what you are after. But it's going to have to remain a secret, as maybe I don't want you using it before I do...  :cool01: :cool01:
 
P

pscates

Guest
Here's mine. I mocked this up a couple of weeks ago, before I did the sparkle Esquire in the other thread. This is in the same vein - sparkle and pearloid, and a simple, retro single-pickup design.

A "sparkle blue ice" 50's P-Bass (I love those large pickguards that extend to the upper horn...always have), a single-coil pick-up, maple neck (keeping it 50's), Tele bass headstock, a faux f-hole (I just think they look cool on something like this) and white chickenhead volume/tone knobs. Oh, and white top/face binding (the back would have the contoured "tummy cut")

When I get my tangerine Esquire "sparklecaster" built sometime in '08, I may create this four-string "big brother" for it.   :icon_smile:

Same technique as the Esquire: drawn in Adobe Illustrator (for precision), each component in its own layer; then exported to Photoshop for texture, shading, sparkle, colorizing, etc.

pbass_10-07.jpg


 
Top