Does Warmoth sell paint?

hchoe741

So I'm anxiously waiting for my body and neck (been about 2 weeks), and I thought it'd be neat to paint a logo on the headstock in the same finish as the body (shamrock green). So...does Warmoth sell their paints? I'm going to guess no, and if so what other easily accessible finish would come close?

I would probably need like only 8 oz worth if that matters...

Thx!

I have not heard of them offering their paints anywhere to consumers. Customer Service may be able to ask the shop what specific color specs to help you get as close as possible but the shop may or may not respond.

I'd say it's highly unlikely. I'm pretty sure they use a catalyzed polyurethane, and it has literally no shelf life. It doesn't dry; it cures. It's a chemical reaction that occurs when the paint/pigment/reducer/catalyst are mixed. You mix it and use it RFN, or throw it away.

hmm..I think I'll wait for the body to arrive to see the finish in person and just settle for something similar from home depot.

I'm planning on handpainting a logo with a brush and spraying the entire face of the headstock with clear poly (minwax maybe?). Are there certain types of brush on paint that reacts badly with poly coats?

Poly is pretty impervious to most things, even many solvents. That's part of what makes it such a great finish. So, reactions aren't gonna be your problem. More likely trouble will come from the hardness and smoothness which prevents most things from sticking to it.

Bring the body to a Sherwin Williams store.  They should be able to match the color using their color match analysis system.  You only need a small sample for them to scan, so the guitar body should be good.  While I have never color matched a guitar body, I have had great results with them matching other items.

hchoe741 said:
I'm planning on handpainting a logo with a brush and spraying the entire face of the headstock with clear poly (minwax maybe?). Are there certain types of brush on paint that reacts badly with poly coats?

The household poly jobs that have come through my shop all have a yellow cast to them after a few years.

Even the "non-yellowing" formulas seem to turn yellow.

I'd send your neck to Warmoth and have them spray the face of the headstock at the same time.

That way, any changes (fading, yellowing)  to the color over time will match on both; rather than stick out like a sore thumb.

They won't do stickers or decals on headstocks, so I tend to doubt they'd want to paint over some unknown paint applied outside their shop. Worth a call, though. Now that there's almost no such thing as long-distance charges, there's no reason to guess.

vid1900 said:
hchoe741 said:

The household poly jobs that have come through my shop all have a yellow cast to them after a few years.

Even the "non-yellowing" formulas seem to turn yellow.

I'd send your neck to Warmoth and have them spray the face of the headstock at the same time.

That way, any changes (fading, yellowing)  to the color over time will match on both; rather than stick out like a sore thumb.

Do u recall of they were satin and gloss finishes? Or what brand they were? I may have to do some research into that.

Nightclub Dwight said:
Bring the body to a Sherwin Williams store.  They should be able to match the color using their color match analysis system.  You only need a small sample for them to scan, so the guitar body should be good.  While I have never color matched a guitar body, I have had great results with them matching other items.

I'll look into that, thx

Back