Does the Type of Wire Matter?

and also, the resistance of wire is measured by 1000 feet, not feet.

I like the pushback wire because you cut to length, push back the insulation, solder, then let the insulation slide back a bit, why everyone doesn't use this, I don't know, maybe the cost. But a 25 foot role or whatever lenght they sell it in, will last many guitars.

You guys can keep arguing the petty stuff, but it works great

It's pretty expensive for obsolete wire and it's not shielded. It's also much heavier than it needs to be. Fender used it because it was war surplus he could get pretty cheap after WWII, and some people still use it because they don't dare change anything.

Alfang said:

In the NEC it is.  Is that still Ch.9 table 8?  I haven't seen a code book in some time.  Just divide by 1000 for the foot measurement.

I'm wiring all mine in 750 kcmil from now on for voltage drop and for balance.  :icon_jokercolor:

Super Turbo Jack Ace Deluxe Custom said:
Alfang said:

In the NEC it is.  Is that still Ch.9 table 8?  I haven't seen a code book in some time.  Just divide by 1000 for the foot measurement.

I'm wiring all mine in 750 kcmil from now on for voltage drop and for balance.   :icon_jokercolor:
I found 350 cfm was easier to get in the cavities but only in THHN insulation

Teletuby said:
I have been forced to study wire and it's insulation, at the levels we use in a guitar, no the type of wire does not matter at all, use a good quality stranded wire and all will be good, remember a lot of the benefits of wire insulation is all about environmental conditions and voltage drop, with 6 inches of wire and the enclosed environment of a guitar, those elements do not come into play.
Copper wire is great conductor, the insulation is just a protection.
I would be more concerned with the cable between the guitar and amp than the wire in the guitar.

Agree 100%
I typically use the same type of wire that my pickups come with, which is Belden, or similar. It's only 22awg.
A larger gauge can be easier to work with and solder, but aside from that, there is no performance benefit. I like to use a 18awg for the main ground wire.  It's all just personal preference.

pabloman said:
So anybody ever A/B the Rock, Bass, Acoustic, and Jazz Monster Cables? Or is this more of the "I know it all and based on theory there's no way" kind of talk? Try it before ya knock it.

I have A/B'd them, and there is a difference, and it's a result of capacitance (not resistance).
The type of wiring used inside of the guitar is pretty much irrelevant.

In response to the comment about different color wire, I concur. However, there are easier ways to get different "color" wires ... or, more accurately, differentiation on your wire lengths. You can put a piece of tape around the end you're going to feed from your switch through the body of the guitar, mark it with a B or and N (presuming you have two pickups, one at the bridge and one at the neck, use greater and logical notation as needed) and when the whichever-colored wire with the B tag pops out into your control cavity, bingo, you know to what it belongs and to where it goes.

I actually do it with blue masking tape and the regular creme-colored masking tape, without marking them.

I, though, am still in the process of learning the ropes of guitar wiring. So heed my advice accordingly.

My first big project will be rewiring my Hagstrom Swede. I'm going to use the push back wire with the braided shield from Stew-Mac, mostly because it seems like it's easier to ground than most other versions of wire I've seen. Also, it looks cool, and as stupid a reason as that might be, since it's in the darn guitar, I don't really care; I'll see it going in, know it's there, and see it any time I open her up.

The Hag will be a nice test in advance of my Warmoth Jazzmaster's arrival. While it seems that my neck and body are never going to arrive, I assume they haven't forgotten about me and it'll be good to get some practice in before the main event.

Back