Document the shape change for P-routed JBass pickguards

line6man

Epic Member
I received my P-bass routed Jazz bass pickguard from Warmoth the other day...

I never knew this before because it isn't documented anywhere, but the bottom part of the pickguard is shaped a bit differently, because the P-bass pickup would otherwise extend outside the pickguard on a regular Jazz shape. Also, two screws are in different locations.

I honestly don't care about it, and I doubt that anyone else cares much either, but i think this undocumented change is worth at least noting.
Wyliee said that adding a disclaimer with pics with probably make things confusing for people though.

Anyways, when you go to the pickguard page, you see a graphic of the pickguard shape, and as you click on the material thumbnails, the graphic changes to show that material...
My suggestion is that there should be a different preview graphic for Jazz, Precision, and no pickup routings.

For anyone who is interested, here is a tracing that i did which shows the shape change, as well as the change in location of two screws.
Red is the P-routed pickguard, blue is the regular Jazz pickguard, and green is the area they share in common.
3792623507_03c8086a82.jpg

That is strange.  I can see how that would be confusing if posted.  I thought they'd be the same, but I guess they're different so they can keep the P-Bass pickup placement the same.  If they used the same pickguard and moved the pickup routing, that would be a whole can of worms as to why the pickup placement had changed.  I do remeber a post a while back of a Warmoth PG not lining up with the pickup route of a Warmoth body.  I don't remember the details, but it did involve a P-Bass.

I can see why a disclaimer would be a bit confusing.  If your J-Bass had a P-Bass rout already, you'd probably have something similar already.  Otherwise if you were ordering the body and pickguard all from Warmoth, you'd probably never notice the difference.  It's definitely good to know though.

It seems to imply that you wouldn't be able to rout a blank J-bass pickguard (without pickup routs) for a P-bass pickup. That would be pretty sucky since I would imagine most people going that path would be oing so because they have some non-standard body/pickup combination.

The scenario I am imagining is that maybe someone will order a J routed body off the showcase and have Warmoth route it for the P pickup for future pickup experimentation, but cover that route with a regular J pickguard and Jazz configuration.
Basically if you have a J body routed for a P pickup, you have to actually use the P pickup and you lose the option to ever use the Jazz routing again, because the pickuard would reveal a gap.

Back