Do I need to adjust the neck?

Mapleg4

I just put on new strings, Ernie Ball Power Slinkys on my G4 bass. I had to give up tuning the D and G strings when they were at roughly 1 1/2 step down because they were to tight. This is the second time in 2 days I've tried to put on new strings. I barely cut any off the top of the strings but they are still impossible to tune. The A string is also a little tight but rattles against the frets a little bit and the E string (tuned to D) rattles a bit as well. I can't understand how they have gotten like this. I suppose that the problem is that I should have gotten the neck adjusted when I switched from GHS strings (0.50-1.15) to Power Slinkys (0.55-1.10). I can barely slide my fingers on the strings because they are too tight, and bending is impossible. This is, as I said, the second time in 2 days I've tried to change the strings, so I suspect it's the string gauge and the neck that needs adjustment.
I got the bass before Warmoth started with the 720 mod so there's a little gap between the fingerboard and the body, but I've never had any problem with this. I'm taking the bass to a music store tomorrow to get it looked at. It just totally sucks having to waste that many sets of strings on this. I have a brand new EHX Bass Blogger fuzz I can't even test because of this!!

Back