Direct mounted pickups, how do you install that?

i agree with the flying squirel, i had a carvin once and i had to do a gig....and the pickups screw fell out and they were direct mounted...i couldnt get parts anywhere, i bought epoxy at a plexi glass shop, and poured it in, and in ten minutes it was secure, ruined the guitar but didnt affect the sound, in fact may have made it less microphonic as the epoxy is a old headbanger trick

i think if u route corectly...you can install the pickup directly to the wood....without needing to adjust it, as long as you made ur measurements corectly

ha my pickup is glued in too, i found a dogear p-90 for 800 yen in a guitar store ($7) it didnt have a cover and i can't get one locally. well i cut the tabs off the back plate shimed it up with maple and used a little cyano acrilate aka superglue to atach it. works great

stubhead said:
a few authorities believe that direct mounting doesn't actually improve anything (looks cool though).

I was just thinking that someone might simply want to to this for aesthetics alone.

I don't think it improves the tone, but I want mine direct-mounted because, not only does it look good, but I'm always breaking off the corners of the mounting rings with my picking style, so I'd just like to eliminate those altogether...

T.L. said:
I'm always breaking off the corners of the mounting rings with my picking style, so I'd just like to eliminate those altogether...

Jesus, dude, what do you pick with, a silver dollar or a rusty nail or a hacksaw blade or something??  :eek:

willyk said:
Well that's direct!
But use black tape for a darker sound, yellow tape for a brighter sound or two bits of tape for a stereo sound. :laughing7: :toothy10: :laughing7:

Willy that was the funniest thing I've read in a while, I laughed out loud.  :icon_thumright:

Phrygian said:
stubhead said:
a few authorities believe that direct mounting doesn't actually improve anything (looks cool though).

I was just thinking that someone might simply want to to this for aesthetics alone.

I cannot tell a tonal difference, and I've had identical pickups in guitars with the same wood combo's, hardware configs, etc...

I prefer the direct mounted more-so out of how my right hand rests on the bridge & where my fingers relax.  Sometimes my pinky finger of my picking hand rest down in the hole directly atop the height adjustment screw.

Additionally, unless it is a "classic" look that is being strived for, ie; chrome/gold p/u covers, I prefer to use direct mount for a clean appearance.
If going for a classic look with p/u covers & all, I think the rings compliment the appearance & keeping continuity with the theme.

I think the rings look cleaner than being able to see the PU routs and screws...

Jesus, dude, what do you pick with, a silver dollar or a rusty nail or a hacksaw blade or something??

Dunlop Delrin 1.5mm picks. I don't know how it happens -- I am not a super-aggressive player, but those corners manage to crack and break...

Back