Dimarzio Evo as a Super Heavy metal pickup?

jerryjg

I'm looking for just about the thickest fullest  chugging crunch heavy/black/death style bridge pickup. I do have a Gibson 500t.
I've also considered the Invader. Not wanting to go active.
Would the EVO do that? I like thew fact that its articulate, which i think is what the Invader is supposed to be, plus the heavy.

Evo's are OK.  I like them in the neck position.  For the bridge I would go with the BREED!  That will give you the sound you are looking for.

The Dimarzio D-Activator is supposed to be up that alley.  I can't say I own one personally, but they're billed as passive pups for people who want the active sound.

Thanks. Thats not my main style of music, but i do want to have a guitar with that sound in my collection.

If it's not your main style I would go for the Bill Lawerence XL's,  you can get that tone from them and a pair of them costs about the same as one DiMarzio. 

I have some EVOs in my JEM, and they're decent for metal but definitely not the best , they don't feedback very well, Breeds might be the better choice, Ive also heard bill lawrence makes a good metal pickup

That lundgren is for real!

I stay as far away from dimarzio's as possible though, so I'm biased.

It doesn't matter what your pickups are.  Just chain a few distortion boxes together and turn them up all the way.

well, he's going for "Super Heavy Metal Pickup"
it should be 666 pedals in a row!

-edit-I can't tell if you're jabbing me or not...

dbw said:
It doesn't matter what your pickups are.  Just chain a few distortion boxes together and turn them up all the way.

The few times that I need heavy breakup I use my THD Hotplate. I get total tube saturation at a volume where your
ears can still distinguish the tonal qualities.
No stomp box can reproduce real tube saturation. You want it, theres a price. You have to crank your volume and make
the tubes scream for their lives.

what amp are u plugging into? one thing Ive learned is if a fairly high-gain amp, higher output pups tend to sound like ass compared to a more mild-output,PAF type.
if the amp is a lower/no gain amp,then the higher outputs help put some heft into things,though.

Back