Dificult to stay focused

m165 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions and tips, I am staring to like the idea of the unfinished wood for the neck, anybody got any particular favorites? and when you say unfinished does this include the pure Tung oil that lots of people seem to reccomend on here, or is it OK to leave the neck wood without any sort of treatment ?.

Thanks

At first, I was skeptical about a raw neck.  I've played on finished necks for nearly 20 years.  Now, I think the raw Canary neck is my favorite component of my Strat build.  If Warmoth says, "no finish required," you don't have to put anything on it at all.  Of course, a quality oil is still good for it.  However, my neck feels so good as is, I'm not going to risk changing the feel by putting any oil on it.  :)

I now have raw necks of almost every wood save goncalo alves; I have only oiled my canary neck with a little WATCO Danish Oil as I want to ensure that it doesn't discolor at all, can't say for sure that's even necessary...

jackthehack said:
I now have raw necks of almost every wood save goncalo alves; I have only oiled my canary neck with a little WATCO Danish Oil as I want to ensure that it doesn't discolor at all, can't say for sure that's even necessary...

I took your advice and treated the indian rosewood neck on my Paul with the natural-flavored WATCO Danish Oil after I removed the Warmoth sticker logo.  I am quite pleased with the result.  Besides, moisterizing / treating / sealing the wood, it provided a great color to the wood.  I specified a darker batch of rosewood when I ordered this guitar to tie in with the macassar ebony fretboard.  Unfinished, the rosewood is a little grey-ish / greenish.  The WATCO brought out a really nice warm, saturated brown that I really love.

I have a couple unfinished dressers in the house that will also receive the WATCO treatment.  Good stuff.

Which woods can be left untreated, apart form canary. Are Danish oil and Tung Oil the same thing?

m165 said:
Which woods can be left untreated, apart form canary. Are Danish oil and Tung Oil the same thing?

Go to the Warmoth neck woods page and look for "Finish required" and an "X" in the "No" column.
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=guitar_neckwoods

Still doing my homework, have seen some necks in the showcase that look great and I imagine sound great too, is it Ok to post pics here of stuff from the Warmoth showcase to ask for sugestions?.  Will using Tung oil on the wood have much effect on its colour.

Important point of order here:
Tung oil is insufficient for Warmoth warranty purposes.  Tru Oil is the only oil based finish that has been tested and approved as it contains hardening agents.

You'll find more neck finish comments at the bottom of the page:
http://www.warmoth.com/paint/paint.cfm?fuseaction=necks

-Eric.

I am currently looking at getting a neck that does not require a finish, Canary and Brazilian rosewood board, so I would presume its covered under guarantee without a finish being applied. Also had a look today to see if I could find Tung oil in the DIY hardware shops in my area but  with no luck, the people I spoke with had never heard of it, any other Spanish Warmoth users out there been able to find Tung Oil?.

m165 said:
I am currently looking at getting a neck that does not require a finish, Canary and Brazilian rosewood board, so I would presume its covered under guarantee without a finish being applied. Also had a look today to see if I could find Tung oil in the DIY hardware shops in my area but  with no luck, the people I spoke with had never heard of it, any other Spanish Warmoth users out there been able to find Tung Oil?.

If you do order a Canary/Rosewood neck, I bet when you put your hands around that raw wood, you'll think twice about putting anything at all on it.

I took the decision today and ordered what will be my first Warmoth, in the end I ordered a Strat style body of Swamp Ash and a Canary w/Brazilian rosewood neck and graphite nut(thanks for the advice here for that one), all from the showcase, the body is routed for an American standard Trem and for tuners I choose the Planet waves auto trim, I need to decide tomorrow about the pick guard, but I have a couple of ideas of how I think it might look, will try and post a mock-up pic here and see what you guys think, it will be a bit rough but I think you will get the idea.

The big question now is what pick-up options to go with, I have been considering a set from Seymour Duncan "Everything Axe" set which I think should give me plenty of options, with SJBJ-1b JB Jr. for the bridge, an SDBR-1n Duckbucker in the middle, and an SL59-1n Little '59 for the neck. Still just an idea so any sugestions welcome.  Thanks again to all who have helped me out here.  :eek:ccasion14:

Attachments

• My Warmoth guitar 1.JPG
    My Warmoth guitar 1.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 313
I humbly submit my vote for the torteise shell guard, I think that looks hot!  I almost got that very same set of pickups, but had a change of heart, wanting a more traditional strat sound, but I still want to do another strat with that configuration...

Might I, also humbly, suggest a plainer guard to accentuate the wood. I'm not a fan of anodized guards but a clear plexi, back painted with gold would look stupendous on your strat... Just a thought

clear plexi, back painted with gold, have you tried this ?, sounds interesting.

m165 said:
That looks great, did you paint the pick guard yourself ?.

I had it done by Tony Dudzik from Pickguardian in Ohio he does very good work and is very prompt with delivery.

Thanks for the info willyk, I have emailed Pickguardian for a quote, lets see how it works out, only trouble is I live in and Spain shipping might cost more than Pick guard.  Maybe somebody is making them a bit closer to home, will check it out.  I think I wll go with one of the Warmoth stock P/guards for the moment as it will not affect the shippping cost plus they are relatively cheap and I can allways change it out later.

Hopefully in 2 to 3 weeks I will have the makings of my first Warmoth, along the way my ideas and plans have changed, sometimes guided by some kind folks on here  :icon_thumright:. I went from, in my head a LP style guitar to hopefully in my hands very soon, a strat style guitar.

I decided to go with some Seymour Duncan single coil sized Humbuckers, lets see how that turns out, if I  can manage to get them installed and working. I like the idea of the 5 way super switch, I might be biting offf more than I can chew with that, maybe I wll leave that for a future adventure.

I just realized today that the Planet waves auto trim tuners have a black peg even though they are chrome coloured (small detail) but I guess from the front thay will look black? anybody used these tuners able to confirm this for me. I have the option of black or white pickups, I thought the white would look better but not sure now.

Attachments

• PS2217c with dirt copper Pick guard black.JPG
    PS2217c with dirt copper Pick guard black.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 309
  • PS2217c with dirt copper Pick guard.JPG
    PS2217c with dirt copper Pick guard.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 309
Back