Dificult to stay focused

m165

New here and just trying to find my around this forum and its wealth of info, which seems an excellent place to get help and advice so a big thanks in advance. I guess we all have to start somewhere but my problem is that I started out thinking I would be getiing myself a Warmoth LP style and had allmost decided on everything, then I saw something that I thought would make an even better project but completely different and so on....there seems to be just way too much cool stuff out there to choose from, should I flip a coin and make that phone call or keep looking at it for another while longer. Any advice for a first timer really appreciated.

Just keep thinking, looking, and, learning. I've been crusin around the warmoth site daily since 2004 and my idea on my ideal guitar has changed alot, First I go by "sound" tone woods, hardware, pickups you know the sound i'm looking for. Then by "feel" scale length, radius, back contour, comfort contours, fret wire, nut width, string spacing width on the bridge end, then "logic" what don't I need or use, tone knobs, neck pickup, you know stuff like that. Then I go by "looks" what body shape would inspire me most, what head stock, what finish on the body colors, laminates, hardware color, inlay choices.....I know I'm going to keep my dream guitar semi simple, inspiring, playing and sounding good.  Also go by what things on what guitars you've played in the past and liked. Do research on the parts on those guitars and base yours off that. My fav playing guitars are the old jackson dinkys from 95 and the 1988 HM strat. Both have very flat radius so I'm going with a strait 16 inch. Both had thin necks so i'll go with a wizard contour. Both had jumbo wire but not extra jumbo. So i'll go with the jumbo SS frets. Also the Dinky had a 16 inch radius but with a schaller bridge with a 10 inch radius and I always thought the action was a little weird on that guitar. So I'm going with a fender two screw trem so I can match the radius with the saddles. Also I played a charvel once with a pau ferro board with maple neck and really dug the tone so I;m going with a pau ferro board on maple. Every one knows that black korina is the king of tone woods for a body so I'm going with that. I also need 24 frets so I'm going with the soloist body. I also really dig the CBS head stock like on those high end charvels so I'm going with that. This is for my dream guitar tuned in standard. My priority is a baritone neck which I'm ordering first.

Yeah, that's a tough one. I'm almost done with my first build, but I'm already thinking about a second just so I can explore some different ideas. I think the key is to come to grips with the fact that no one guitar build will satisfy every idea you could come up with.

Hey M, welcome to the board!
What is your current and the "best of" of your plans? The guys here are very nice and they have a huge knowleadge, you can get some ideas here of what can go nice and what can't... try it!

Its called "candy store" syndrome.

Start simple.  Simple rules!  When you have more experience... do more experienced things.

m165 said:
then I saw something that I thought would make an even better project but completely different and so on....there seems to be just wat too much cool stuff out there to choose from, should I flip a coin and make that phone call or keep looking at it for another while longer. Any advice for a first timer really appreciated.

Haha, that is perfectly normal.. it's not exactly the candy-store syndrome, it is actually the Warmoth Syndrome.
Start simple is good advice.. you may not know it yet, but you will soon find out that it is almost impossible to build just one Warmoth!

I have several warmoth Ideas and it will prob take years to save the funds to make them all.

m4rk0 said:
m165 said:
then I saw something that I thought would make an even better project but completely different and so on....there seems to be just wat too much cool stuff out there to choose from, should I flip a coin and make that phone call or keep looking at it for another while longer. Any advice for a first timer really appreciated.

Haha, that is perfectly normal.. it's not exactly the candy-store syndrome, it is actually the Warmoth Syndrome.
Start simple is good advice.. you may not know it yet, but you will soon find out that it is almost impossible to build just one Warmoth!

I just finished my first, and the plan changed about twelve thousand  times during the whole process.  I have sworn that the next one will be "stick to the plan" all the way, but my first turned out great despite my, as you say, lack of focus!  Don't fret!  Just go for it!

It's easy to look at all the exotic woods, and build in your mind the dream guitar, and as you dream of better better better, the price goes up.

Even though you would love to get your hands on that $500.00 Blk Korina, An equally performing guitar body can go for much less, A bit more than $100 if you do the finnish yourself, and some finnished for what 200?

this goes for necks and hardware too, as long as you dont buy Crap, which Warmoth doesn't even sell, your gonna have a nice playen sound'n guitar when your done.  It might not look like your ultimate dream guitar, but will sound and play as good, within reason, and pickups being equal

There are so many different stories on this board. My first Warmoth project was just a neck for an old bass of mine. I bought it from the showcase, it was the cheapest one I could find and it blew me away. Now I'm building my 12th complete instrument and I have 2 more ordered. I'm probably the ultimate addict. Alfang has hit the nail on the head, don't go for the ultimate guitar it doesn't exist. Take your time man thats the best advice I can give you, and don't worry about how many times your mind changes. You will arrive at a decision eventually and by then it will be more likely to be the right decision.....All the best mate  Willy

Thanks for the replies and advice, much apprecitaed, as regards my current plan,

I am looking at VW body from the showcase which is described as Black Brown burst Maple top on Mahogony, routed for 2 humbuckers and Wilkinson tremelo with LP style controls.,

The neck also from the showcase was a EB Musicman style, Rosewood on a clear maple back, but I think it may have been sold since I last looked today, , :sad1:

I was thinking about the stainless steel frets but undecided about the tuners.

chrome or gold hardware?

Choosing the pickups is still a bit of mystery to me, obviously 2 humbuckers in this case but which ones, I still need to do some research on this one, finding the Seymour Duncan Web site very usefull in this regard.

So thats more or less where I am at today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, I must say that although I have been playing guitar for a good few years now this Warmoth project and forum have rekindled an interest in the guitar that I havent experienced for a long time, seeing all those finished, fantastic looking Guitars and its great.....Thanks

Yes, someone bought the neck before of you, as it looks...

The description sounds very nice man!
You can order a custom neck with the Music Man style headstock, perhaps even a burst matching in headstock, if you wish... Look to the Canary in the Woods Descripition: http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=guitar_neckwoods
It has a look that matches naturally with the finish of this body and it can be used without a finish, this gives a better playability in the guitar!

What kind of music do you play? We need it to give hints about pickups... But I think a double zebra p.u. would look the best in this guitar!

One of the best things about building yourself a guitar is that you can pace yourself and bring it togather as you go along. If you see a nice body or a great neck on the showcase that suits your plan you can grab it and make other choices such as pickups later. The strat I'm building now started like that.

I dont see this EB musicman neck style in the description of Warmoth necks available so I thought it was maybe a once off, interested to know a bit more about your thoughts on the Canary wood matching natuarlly to this body and no finish needed , how will the wood feel with no finish?

I must agree with CB it is the 'candy store syndrome' just one flavor won't do. Go ahead and get both heck just go ahead and max out that credit card and buy several. I myself will be completing my second order before the first one I ordered and I'm about to order the third. It's only money why not let Warmoth have instead of someone else at least you will have some great looking axes to show for it. LOL LOL LOL.
Welcome to the board there's a lot of knowledeable people on this board the only advice that I can give is know what kind of music you will be playing and read about the different woods and most of all ask all of the questions there will be lots of answers. Good luck on your choice.
                  :party07:        :rock-on:          :headbang1:          :guitarplayer2:          :hello2:

willyk said:
m165 said:
how will the wood feel with no finish?

Like sex without a rubber !! :icon_thumright:

Yeh, I love the feel of unfinished wood on the neck.  Sex without a rubber is an excellent analogy!  In my case, Indian Rosewood on this with a macassar ebony fretboard.  As for tuners, Warmoth offers Planet Waves auto-trim lockers, or Sperzel locking tuners, among others.  Either would be a fine choice.  I used Sperzels on this Les Paul.  Some day, my second build is leaning towards a Black Korina Explorer with some higher output ceramic humbuckers along the lines of Bill Lawrence 500's.  I already have lower output A2 / A3 Alnicos in the Paul, and a Strat with single coil Lindy Fralins.  Variety is the spice of life.

Warmoth_2.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips, I am staring to like the idea of the unfinished wood for the neck, anybody got any particular favorites? and when you say unfinished does this include the pure Tung oil that lots of people seem to reccomend on here, or is it OK to leave the neck wood without any sort of treatment ?.

Thanks

Back