"Denimed" burst?

phatstats

I'm sure ya'll are familiar with the classic Denim/faded blue top finish; something like https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-prs-mccarty-594-with-pattern-vintage-neck-electric-guitar/l71971000010000?cntry=US&cur=USD&utm_content=L71971000010000--PRS+PRS+McCarty+594+with+Pattern+Vintage+Neck+Electric+Guitar+Faded+Whale+Blue&source=3WWRWXGS&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_4-SBhCgARIsAAlegrW_f84PXolxQURZ2_FTGnvJor6xnT5BD4BmvDX1m5uz6VJPEj038z4aAn4REALw_wcB. Has anybody ever seen someone combine this "faded" sort of effect with a burst? Im imagining basically staining a burst a bit generously, and then doing a sandback and leaving it with the burst kinda just hanging out in the lower areas of the flames flames and then the natural chillin in the higher spots. Curious to if there any any references people are aware of for either guide pictures or something of that effect? Im really surprised I've never seen this finish before because it seems like something people would like with the whole "relicing" craze, and I'll probably if nothing else try it on scrap, but curious to what others think/have seen.

Just got my ish in the mail and after somehow managing to get myself thru retrofitting the bridge to fit the route, drilling out the most gorgeous neck and body I've ever seen and getting to get the initial fit together, I'm really torn between leaving natural (the flame on the body and roasted neck are outta this world...), doing a non-standard burst, or trying a non-standard burst with a non standard faded effect. How in the hell do ya'll make decisions like this?? (I know, I know... buy multiple sets and try em all 😂 sadly my wallet disagrees!!)

I cannot say I have seen something such as you describe. Also the link to the PRS does not show a guitar.

Probably testing on scrap is a good idea before committing to something on the body etc.

For such a long OP, very little is said

In a single sentence, plainly describe what you are trying to accomplish.

I say this as I don’t think you are even certain about what you want to accomplish.

Something like the "faded whale blue smokeburst" in this Reverb listing?

xb6tNwN.png

If so I think you just get your faded denim/whale blue look by sanding back the dye like in this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P_OHwQ6moI

and then shoot a burst around the edge with tinted black lacquer

TBurst Std said:

I say this as I don’t think you are even certain about what you want to accomplish.

My interpretation is that the denim look with the blue IS the edge burst while the center of the body remains natural.

hardrockguy said:
How in the hell do [y'all] make decisions like this??

I design first, THEN place my orders or begin putting tools to wood.  Gotta have a plan before diving in.  I have several folders in my computer of partial design ideas that are constantly being tweaked.  Then there's also the factor that something that looks good in my head and even looks good digitally doesn't translate nearly as well in real life.

You might even get some 3M spray adhesive and an old pair of jeans and apply actual denim over the top.

There is nothing really special about the Faded Whale blue color you link to in either of those.

It is a darker grayish blue applied first, sanded back, and then a slightly lighter grayish blue is applied. You can further make it look faded by sanding very slightly and/or pulling out some of the dye with acetone/alcohol/etc.

At that point if you just clear coat the body you get the first guitar linked,
If however you first seal the top, painted a black burst, and then apply the final clear coat you do get the 2nd one (I know the shop owners, this shop is dangerously close to me).

Once you get denim in your blood you can never go back!

Attachments

• Denim rules!.jpg
    Denim rules!.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 52
TBurst Std said:

This is accurate; I actually managed to pull off what I meant during a sandback but just kept going because it didn't look as good as I expected.

NedRyerson said:
TBurst Std said:

My interpretation is that the denim look with the blue IS the edge burst while the center of the body remains natural.

hardrockguy said:
How in the hell do [y'all] make decisions like this??

I design first, THEN place my orders or begin putting tools to wood.  Gotta have a plan before diving in.  I have several folders in my computer of partial design ideas that are constantly being tweaked.  Then there's also the factor that something that looks good in my head and even looks good digitally doesn't translate nearly as well in real life.

I didn't really know what was possible for me to learn to do going in was part of the issue so I had too many ideas floating around 😂 i know i know keep it simple for first build... alas, I did not, and fortunately, I think it turned out A ok!

Back