delete

They generally don't sell well.

Most people want the standard setups, so the crazy guitars don't get the most attention.
They're made for one person. A suit tailored for me won't fit you as well, for example.
The lack of a famous name doesn't help resale value.

If it looks spectacular, it could sell well, though.

from what i've seen (both here and ebay) you should definitely try to make yourself a guitar you'll love forever, because if you special order your parts there's a good chance you'll be taking a hit on it. strange that an older but inferior guitar could go up in value while warmoth's quality parts aren't always worth the wood they're made of, but i guess thats business.

Max said:
If it looks spectacular, it could sell well, though.

+1. i've seen some great looking wamoth's get big money on ebay and such. or people combining a fender body with a warmoth neck and selling it as an upgraded fender. that'll sometimes get a good amount.

No idea.
You could probably ask for a satin clearcoat on a body

And I'm surprised this hasn't sold.
http://cgi.ebay.com/WARMOTH-LP-SHEPTONE-5A-QUILT-ROSEWOOD-NECK-NR_W0QQitemZ260463472444QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3ca4d52f3c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_924

Well, the money spent on Unique Choice is lost, for sure... If it's 5A or something you can add a little to the price, but not the whole price...

For sellers, Warmoth is not a big deal, you pay a good price and sell cheap...
+1 to what Max said...

I would expect to lose big time, the only exceptions are if you've done a lot of the work yourself (nice finish for instance) and not paid much for the original parts, you could make a little money if you're lucky. Why would you want to sell your supermodel-hot VIP, after spending all that time picking it out, if I may ask?

The reason I am often hesitant to spend $$ on a Warmoth on ebay is because, while the parts are the best, you have many do-it-yourselfers who have no idea what they are doing trying to assemble and setup their instrument.

I have seen tuners installed crookedly, finishes ruined, "modifications" done that destroy the guitar, etc.

If I want a Warmoth, I am going to spend the $$ to see that it is assembled correctly. That's well worth the investment, and is CHEAP compared to the cost of actual Warmoth parts.

Otherwise, you end up with a collection of fine quality parts that are permanently damaged (i.e. tuner screws broken off in the head, etc) that isn't worth nearly what it cost to buy.

juliancs said:
I know it's pretty superficial, but I can't get over the fact that It feels and looks so big on me. I think a soloist would suit me more. Not a desperate thing, but yea.

If you're small, every single guitar will look big on you...
Perhaps you could ask for a 7/8 Strat or Tele...
But there is no way to run of this...

juliancs said:
I suppose I'm covered by this. I had a luthier in Singapore (where I lived at the time) do the construction for me, and he definitely knew what he was doing. I wasn't going to skip on paying to have it put together properly.

How cool is that!  :icon_biggrin:

juliancs said:
As far as the size, my guitar beforehand was an Ibanez S series, and that looked alot better- simply the width of the VIP is what does it.

Relax dude, even with a Explorer or something alike, I can't help in NOT looking like a human-rhino :laughing7:
So when it has no way to fix it, it's already fixed...

buckallred said:
The reason I am often hesitant to spend $$ on a Warmoth on ebay is because, while the parts are the best, you have many do-it-yourselfers who have no idea what they are doing trying to assemble and setup their instrument.

Don't buy my junk then cause you just described me to a t!

The only time anyone will know what my Warmoth builds are worth is when my kids are carving up my estate after i am toes up.  :laughing7:

i say, if you love everything about the VIP then order a soloist in the same pickup configuration and use the VIP's neck on it. then when the soloist body gets there just switch all the electronics and everything over and then sell the body alone. as somebody else already said, parting out these beauties is probably the best way to make a decent amount on it.

I find it strange that you want to dismiss a beautiful guitar, which was, by the way, an inspiration for my most recent build, just because it looks big....

a les paul doesn't look good on me, period. no guitar does. don't know why, but that doesn't keep me from buying les pauls and playing them! I love the looks of a les paul, and I really dig their tone, feel and vibe. if you say, I don't like the feel/vibe/mojo/tone, and I wanna get rid of it: cool! but 'how it looks on me' is imho not a valid reason.

but to answer your question: they sell for practically nothing, so to speak. I just bought of ebay for 1000 euro's, all in, a warmtoh LP with rosewood neck, duncan pickups, gotoh hardware, CTS pots, singlepiece back, solid AAAAquilt top, thats like 1250$...new, it would cost me I think almost 2000$.

PS: that fireburst doesn't sell, cause imho, its overpriced :D (as i said before, mine is almost exactly like it, same woods, but a fingerboard which is not so extremely striped, but with abalone inlay), but cost me almost half of what they ask there...(oh wait, no, thats in dollars, I counted in euro's: 1000$ instead of 1650$.)

juliancs said:
I know it's pretty superficial, but I can't get over the fact that It feels and looks so big on me. I think a soloist would suit me more. Not a desperate thing, but yea.

Does it make you look fat?

Yeah, just get more hair gel or something if you're concerned about your looks on stage.  :icon_biggrin: Lots of little guys have played 335s and they survived it, you will too.

tfarny said:
Yeah, just get more hair gel or something if you're concerned about your looks on stage.  :icon_biggrin: Lots of little guys have played 335s and they survived it, you will too.

For real!  Look at Malcolm Young and his Gretsch!

Back