deft or poly

dmraco

Master Member
I am trying to decide on a final finish for my latest project.  I have used nitro (reranch) and poly before.  I like the finish of poly but it is harded to work with than nitro.  I have heard that most nitros will yellow and crackle over time.  I am trying to avoid that.

I have heard that DEFT DOES NOT yellow or crackle. 
Thoughts??

Thanks

Not a fan of poly, but have shot many laq's for years and like Deft..never had it crack (humidity levels and wood movement effect that to a certain extent) but have seen it yellow a bit and ultraviolet (sun exposure) . Read recently that violins get better over the years "because' of very fine cracks, but this gets off in a whole other area.
Poly does cross-link (oil and water protection) where as laq does not. *Two part or catalized ''laq" aside.

I've used Deft lacquer a few times.  The oldest piece is about four years old so I can't definitively tell you it will not yellow but I can tell you it is highly crack/check resistant.

Just how resistant?  The last guitar body I shot with Deft I accidentally hit with a squirt of liquid canned air.  It occured right after wet sanding, and before final polishing.  I was trying to blow sanding dust out of the trem cavity and managed to tip the can a bit too much.  The liquid came shooting out and literally froze the finish wherever it hit, to the point where the finish instantly crazed.  I was in the midst of kicking my self when I noticed that as the finish regained room temperature the cracks were healing themselves.  An hour later the finish buffed out perfectly.

So yeah, there's a fair bit of plasticizers in Deft.

Although, if I was dead set against yellowing I'd probably use an acrylic - those go on water clear and stay colorless.

yellow is not as big a worry...it is the crackle that gibsons get as they get old I am trying to avoid.  I do like the fact that with the deft...you can touch up and blend easily.  Poly is not as easy.

Back