Deciphering an unusual Strat wiring/circuit

tomssy

A used Strat I bought comes with a fairly unusual wiring/circuit (for me anyway). What puzzles me the most is this mini transformer attached to the last pot. Any idea what it's there for?

IMG_2995.jpg

It's probably just an inductor as opposed to a transformer, but it's possible it's a transformer that the previous owner only used one winding of. Anyway, they're used to create low-pass filters.

The vast majority of guitar tone circuits are high-pass filters, configured in such a way as to pass high frequencies to ground rather than the output. They're very simple to create with just a resistor or potentiometer and a small capacitor. Low pass filters do the same thing, but at the lower frequencies. You just very rarely see them as inductors are expensive relative to capacitors.

This is not unusual at all. Not the most common mod, but people add inductors all the time.

Here's a Gibson Ripper schematic. What you usually do is place an inductor in series with a capacitor, and then put that in series with a pot, to vary the cut. The whole thing runs parallel to the signal path.
ripper-circuit.jpg

I've got one on my Koa strat.  Works nicely when playing clean.  Basically, it sounds like removing windings from your pickups.  Can sound almost like a tele.

I didn't know what it's supposed to do until now. I haven't all the parts back so can't tell yet.

This mod is on the second tone pot. The first tone pot is a push-pull and in addition to that there is also a toggle switch. They're probably for some sort of extra wiring, neck+bridge etc. I need to spend more time looking at the wirings.

Back