Decal Question

SnakeGS

Probably been said before but I couldn't find it in the search area. I am wanting to do a custom decal but in fender script such as the Famous F lol and the stratocaster style font. If using a different name but in there script would that still be in the legal area??? as long as it is not saying Fender.

Nope, nothing to worry about. And you can put whatever logo you want on it. The only time legality creeps in is if, for exmaple, Warmoth started offering to apply Fender decals. That's exactly why they and others in the business don't do it. But there are plenty of places that will.

SnakeGS said:
Probably been said before but I couldn't find it in the search area. I am wanting to do a custom decal but in fender script such as the Famous F lol and the stratocaster style font. If using a different name but in there script would that still be in the legal area??? as long as it is not saying Fender.

Fender may legally own the script if it is unique or if they prove it is part of their trademark (Like the Coca Cola swirl is protected from imitators). That's the technical legal stuff out of the way, otherwise you can do what you like on your own guitar. It's when you go to sell it or pass it off as something that it is not that the legality comes into play.

4728770887_fd1e4d6fc5_z.jpg

i did it! i honestly think that with ALL the tons of people out there who use customized logos we would have heard if fender were cracking down on this sort of thing. then again it might be so widespread that they don't even bother, but i think you'll be fine

EDIT: if anything with mine, it's not the swirly fender-style script, but the word "telecaster" that could get me in trouble :icon_biggrin:

Just don't put an R-logo on your instrument, or they will have the swat team knocking down your door.

in www.best-decals.com you car order high quality custom decals...any shape, size, color and font. good luck.

Because Warmoth are licensed by Fender why is putting an "F" logo a problem in the first place. Especially if your replacing a broken or worn original neck?

It's not a "problem", per se. Strictly speaking, it's illegal to use a company's trademark on a product they did not produce. However, I seriously doubt Fender would kick about relabeling a licensed replacement part, if that's what it's being used as.

If you were to start making guitars for resale, I imagine they might get a little more worked up. You're eating their lunch, so to speak.

Personally, I'm happy to identify my guitars as having been built using Warmoth parts. Shows I have a discerning nature, and will only settle for the best.

And no, I'm not Ken Warmoth's mother <grin>

Back