Death metal strat

Isanguard

Well...there goes some money, haha. I’ve been wanting a strat for a while I’ve always loved the look, especially the new Friedman Cali guitars with the relic finishes. Anyways, the round fretboard just wasn’t something I could ever get comfortable with for the style of music I play - somewhere between Psycroptic and Soreption. Very notey stuff without much in the way of leads. So, I’ll build my own death metal strat.

Body:
-one piece lightweight alder
-rear routed with two humbuckers
-EMG 57/66 in brushed black chrome
-one volume knob and a 3-way
-2tek bridge
-pearl white finish

Neck:
-modern strat (non tiltback)
-mahogany with blank rosewood board
-vintage satin nitro (darken the hog up a bit to match the rosewood sorta)
-1 3/4” nut width
-fatback profile
-straight 16” radius
-6100 stainless frets
-Schaller or hipshot locking tuners
-21 frets

I’ve realized over the years that I never play above the 20th fret really. Additionally, and this took over a decade for some reason, I realized I like a fat neck and actually play more fluidly on one. For quite a while I thought the Wizard necks were best for my style of music, until trying the PRS vintage profile, which is 23mm at the nut. Neck ergonomics are really everything for me as I sound the same, more or less, on every guitar. Also, acoustic volume is very important for some reason...I play at really low volume 100% of the time so I also figured out that my guitars that have a higher acoustic output just got played more. So, I think the alder body with the 2tek will really have a great acoustic tone to them.

Have to be honest, even though Warmoth has a great reputation, I was apprehensive about spending roughly $1600 in a “parts guitar.” But there just aren’t any guitars on the market with this kind of neck feel and look. They just don’t exist. If you want a fat neck, you’re getting s vintage guitar that’s just the way it is. Also, Warmoth guitars don’t have the best resale value unfortunately. But, I jumped in and I’m honestly feeling great about it.

Can’t do a mock-up unfortunately as I’ve never used photoshop.

Sounds sweet! White pearl is a cool finish.

I'm not sure what vintage tint would look like on mahogany, I've never (to my knowledge) seen that before.... Maybe an all rosewood or wenge shaft neck might be a better option? Plus raw necks feel amazing!

I've never understood either why "metal" guitars all have to have anorexic neck profiles  :dontknow: :eek:ccasion14:

I don't feel bad about the money I've spent on Warmoth guitars. I get exactly what I want for a fraction of a Anderson, Suhr, or Fender Custom Shop guitar. These are instruments for me; tailored to my taste. They're not financial investments. And when I die, someone is gonna end up with some damn NICE guitars.

ragamuffin said:
Sounds sweet! White pearl is a cool finish.

I'm not sure what vintage tint would look like on mahogany, I've never (to my knowledge) seen that before.... Maybe an all rosewood or wenge shaft neck might be a better option? Plus raw necks feel amazing!

I've never understood either why "metal" guitars all have to have anorexic neck profiles  :dontknow: :eek:ccasion14:

I had considred that initially, but I’m just not a fan of IRW necks. Even less so with wenge. I personally feel these dense, bright hardwoods have no place on a guitar....but they do look nice. Rosewood fretboards are as far in the right direction as you can get while still being wood. My last few customs I’ve stayed away from maple and ebony completely and it was a pretty significant difference actually.

" personally feel these dense, bright hardwoods have no place on a guitar"

My eyebrow just raised so high it hit the ceiling. Thats a pretty hot take, brug. And here I thought you were my Hewy.

Cuz without you,

I'm just the News

:headbang5

This is why Warmoth is great. Genetic engineering. Stuff you never see in the wild on a metal Strat-
Mahogany neck on 1 piece alder body
Fatback neck
Wide neck
21 frets

neverstock said:
:headbang5

This is why Warmoth is great. Genetic engineering. Stuff you never see in the wild on a metal Strat-
Mahogany neck on 1 piece alder body
Fatback neck
Wide neck
21 frets

That crackle finish strat is the business man. Love it.

Hi

I have a question for you : did you have any troubles with the rear routing, the thickness of the body, and the EMG selector and pots ?
I suppose you used a 3-position EMG selector switch blade, right ?
It seems that the Warmoth body are thick in the rear routing "pouch".

Also, if you did use a EMG selector, were the screws holes correct, location-wise ?

Thanks !

Back