Danger got a new toy...

DangerousR6

Mythical Status
We gots a new toy in the shop today.... :headbang:
Hurco.jpg

hurco2.jpg

Brand new Hurco cnc lathe... :headbang1:

I crashed a Boehringer once, and stripped the gearing out of a live tooling unit (I think I was out of axial mounted positions on the turret and tried to use it to hold a drill stationary) Stuff happens when you let software guys run machinery.  :icon_biggrin:

It makes big pieces of metal into curly-queues with smaller round pieces of metal as a byproduct.

Before I sold my mill I had delusions of making a guitar entirely from lumber and metal. (I was planning on buying fret wire.) I still scheme about making my own hardware though. Maybe a headless straight pull tuners at the bridge thing.

I work for a university mechanical engineering dept, and we have CNCs downstairs. Now if only I had the software to put into it.....

TroubledTreble said:
Nice to have new toys. How many stations on that head? Live tooling? Do you run coolant or oil? Bar feeder?
Yes it is, 10 stations but up to 99 programmable tools. No live tooling, mineral based coolant, no bar feeder. But does have an automatic chuck... :icon_thumright:

Nice man!  I putzed around with a much more simple model when I took shop in high school, but that's the cat's a**! 

Kinda big for engraving neck plates, Doug?  :icon_scratch:

For a second I thought it was some sort of turret mounted machine gun - I was looking for the barrel & mag clip/belt  in the first pic, til I realised it was some sort of fancy CNC lathe thingy.. :doh:

this is just another form of GAS.  Nice. :icon_thumright:

All you need now is a CNC machine to do you own guitar bodies...or do you have that already?!?!? :laughing8:

Back