Cut pg

Tweed

I’ve been planning to get a pickguard blank from Warmoth and replace the one on my Cyclone. Then I just realized I should you pros if there’s a specific tool I need to use. I’ve got a regular hack saw and coping saw and plenty of sand paper.
Thanks

The "best" way is to use a router table using the old pickguard to make a template for the new pickguard and then using that template to alter it as desired and cut the new one. You will also need the extra height of the template to be able to use a chamfer bit to get the 45 degree edge.

Saws and files can work but it will be very time consuming.

And cutting/shaping by hand -- if you've never done it before -- will inevitably lead to jagged, uneven edges. It won't look machine-smooth, especially around the cutaways at the bridge and neck pocket.

Get a couple of cheap, 1-ply blanks off of Amazon to practice first and get that hands-on experience of what it's going to take to make one by hand.

Or you can have warmoth cut it, as close as they can get, on a known template, and cut or sand away the sections that don't fit right. I have to do that with DiMarzio Mini-humbuckers which are a little bit wider than the gibsons. Not sure how much different what you're doing is different than what warmoth can do. Or just go to a local person. Is there anything even close in the Warmoth inventory?

I think I'd go with Ned's suggestion, and if it looked like crap, hire someone.

Last edited:
Echoing the above comments. Cutting a pickguard by hand will almost certainly end in disappointment.

If it's something completely unique that Warmoth does not offer you might try someplace like pickguardian and see if they will do it for you.

The only way that I found to make a pickguard that looks remotely professional is to first make a template out of MDF to shape. Attach your pickguard to the template with double stick tape and take out your trusty router with a pattern bit. Rout out the shape and finish with an angle bit or by sanding your exposed edges. Bakelite is pretty easy to work with and has that classic look. Good luck with your project.

The "best" way is to use a router table using the old pickguard to make a template for the new pickguard and then using that template to alter it as desired and cut the new one. You will also need the extra height of the template to be able to use a chamfer bit to get the 45 degree edge.

Saws and files can work but it will be very time consuming.
That's a good way to do things.

When I made a copy of a pickguard, I also went the template-first path. And I still got some jagged, imperfect spots. It's just really, really difficult to get super-clean, super-precise results without a CNC, probably.

I know people who've done wood pickguards pretty nicely, but never seen them do plastic. And there was no beveling.

I've made both a wood and the aforementioned ABS pickguard (just one of each). Definitely a learning experience both times. And I'll tell ya, bookmatching, gluing, and clamping 1/8" lumber stock to become a pickguard (I didn't have enough stock material to make a 1-piece) was not simple!

Because after that, then I had to cut and rout out the pickup spaces, as well as the holes for the pots. And the screw holes. Especially since I was actually recessing this pickguard into its place in the body.

Back