Custom headstock shape

There was a time when Warmoth would cut original headstock shapes for people, used customer-provided wood, and many other things, but not anymore.

I would agree the best path for a custom headstock shape is a paddle-head neck.

I’m in odenton now, but was in Rockville since 07
For a few years I worked for a guy who owned a rug plant in Odenton. It was fun designing, building, and maintaining equipment for him. His place was off Telegraph Rd. He's a really interesting guy who actually ran for Governor of MD one year.

/s

So, I wanted to use the actual cad drawing but the guy who has the machine and manufactures the necks didn’t want to give away his intellectual property, which I totally understand. He traced around one of his headstocks.

I would normally give him the business. However, he doesn’t want to do a neck with the back shape I’m looking for, fully scalloped board and no inlays. So I’m kind of between a rock and a hard place—warmoth is the only place that will build the neck, but if I do a paddle, they won’t finish it of course. I know warmoth will build me a killer scalloped neck because I already own one.

Could I go with a local luthier in my area? Probably. Not convinced any of the local people could do half the job that warmoth does having seen their work.
Have you thought about furniture makers/finishers?

They know how to cut wood and finish it.

Cutting a simple shape from a flat piece of wood is child's play for these guys.
They usually have shop tools and a ton of jigs.
They probably have all sorts of finishing materials to choose from too. The good repair guys can match colors, shading, and sheen/patina for an invisible fix.
There has to be more of them around too, since it's less of a niche market. More choice means higher odds of finding a good one.

Would I trust them with a headstock break? Maybe, but I'd seek a luthier for something specific like that.

Have you thought about furniture makers/finishers?

They know how to cut wood and finish it.

Cutting a simple shape from a flat piece of wood is child's play for these guys.
They usually have shop tools and a ton of jigs.
They probably have all sorts of finishing materials to choose from too. The good repair guys can match colors, shading, and sheen/patina for an invisible fix.
There has to be more of them around too, since it's less of a niche market. More choice means higher odds of finding a good one.

Would I trust them with a headstock break? Maybe, but I'd seek a luthier for something specific like that.
another great idea. When I get the roasted maple paddle and carve out the headstock shape i will be sure to post a photo. Thanks all!

You can design it yourself, first determine your string post locations, then determine the shape. If you have a Tap Plastics in your area, they can make a routing/drilling template for you to use on the paddle headstock to do the rest of the work yourself.

Back