Custom Cases

Mr Real Nice

So, I saw this:

http://www.rondomusic.com/pdc410i.html

and thought it would be cool to use this as a case for my guitar, but it says in the description that there is not adequate padding.  A Google search is helpful, but I was wondering if anyone has had any first-hand experience with obtaining padding for uses like this.

i have only owned one guitar case in my life, so i am not really familiar with this type of thing...
but i believe that most guitar cases are styrofoam moulded out to the proper shape and then covered in velvet.
(my case was)

i am not sure how you would cut out a piece of styrofoam into the right shape without some kind of CNC machine or something.

another possible way is to buy a big piece of that kind of black foam thats all cut into cubes (where you cut out the cubes to make it fit what you need)
but that kind of thing could end up with a very "boxy" shape around the edges.
plus that stuff isnt all that supportive for heavy stuff.

*maybe* you could fill a bag full of polyurethane foam and set your guitar on top so that it takes shape as it hardens.
but of course, that stuff expands like crazy while it dries, unless there is a kind that i dont know about that doesnt expand.

IMO, why screw around with something like this?
just buy a regular case.

The easiest way to do this would be to make your own padding. Very simple actually. for the bottom place your guitar on a 30 gallon trash bag (hefty lawn bags the thick ones) fill the bag up with expanding foam and let it expand around the guitar. You will get a exact mold of your guitar. Cut this out to fit the case and cover it in a soft material. For the top you just need some foam.

Having purchased an SKB keyboard case several years earlier, I found them quite friendly when contacting them to acquire some more pads, with full adhesive on 1 side.

ocguy106 said:
The easiest way to do this would be to make your own padding. Very simple actually. for the bottom place your guitar on a 30 gallon trash bag (hefty lawn bags the thick ones) fill the bag up with expanding foam and let it expand around the guitar. You will get a exact mold of your guitar. Cut this out to fit the case and cover it in a soft material. For the top you just need some foam.

dude, that's a sick idea.  Thanks for the ideas, guys.

Back