Cripes... Now I want a Ziricote-top guitar...

S

SlartiBartfast

I mean, just LOOK at this thing!  :eek:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/301373-whats-your-workbench-today-62.html

The top is nice, but for a forearm contour that deep, the top needed to be bent. That doesn't look good at all with so much wood missing.

Alfang said:
I agree with Line6, the top is beautiful, the contour is a distraction
Agreed, ziricote is just simply awesome as a top wood or a fingerboard...And yes the contour is a bit on the eyesore side..

I'll pile on with the previous judgements. Almost seems like a waste of damn good Ziricote.

I actually agree with you guys, although I don't think I hate it as passionately as y'all do. This is the first time I've seen a Ziricote top on a guitar at all, so my post was really more about having GAS for a Ziricote guitar, and not specifically this particular Ziricote guitar. It is a lovely piece of lumber, though.

"Hate" may be too strong a word. Disappointment is probably more appropriate. You're right; you don't often see Ziricote in such large pieces. It is some attractive stuff, though. I know Warmoth doesn't normally offer that as a top, but I'll bet if you called them you could get 'em to dig around and find a way to pull it off.

Cagey said:
I know Warmoth doesn't normally offer that as a top, but I'll bet if you called them you could get 'em to dig around and find a way to pull it off.

I might have to do that someday. For now, I've got my Warmoth Strat, LP, and fretless J-Bass, with Tele parts on the way. My next project (which might be a ways off still) will probably be a fretted bass. The larger body of a bass might pose some problems in finding enough Ziricote to cover a top, but it never hurts to inquire.

I did not check the tdpri thread but perhaps there was a flaw in the corner, knot or something else, that prompted the decision to not make a drop top ? In any case, that is a beautiful piece of wood.

I agree with Cagey, hate is rather a strong word. Which no one really said they "hated" it, just that it's a bit distracting from the top...

Cagey said:
"Hate" may be too strong a word. Disappointment is probably more appropriate. You're right; you don't often see Ziricote in such large pieces.

Warmoth used to have it in the top section all the time, but as of the last few years it's gotten a bit scarce..

Back