Countersunk neck holes

CD

I think it would be cool to have the holes for your neck countersunk so you could build your guitar without the neck plate.

CD said:
I think it would be cool to have the holes for your neck countersunk so you could build your guitar without the neck plate.

Actually no...

Having the plate creates more even pressure and better resonance. I have Ibanez guitars with the older neck joint (plate) and the current "all access" (just screws), and they are quite different.

Are you sure the resonance isn't just diminished by the lack of wood around the neck area? If the neck area with the countersunk holes were the same as the plate area do you think it would be that different?

I doubt the small difference in wood has any effect, but I remain convinced the plate makes a difference. However, the size of joint will also have an effect, so I suppose it could depend from guitar to guitar.

Believe me, I would LOVE for Warmoth to offer necks that would fit an Ibanez AANJ body.

I've never put much thought into the way the plate would effect the tone like that, dispensing the vibrations evenly and such.

CD said:
I've never put much thought into the way the plate would effect the tone like that, dispensing the vibrations evenly and such.
I like the countersunk neck screw holes idea a lot, because to me it seems like it would lead to a a tighter fit, and perhaps fewer dead spots.

Well as long as you're at it, how about some nice inset stainless threaded bushings, so we can use machine screws rather than wood screws to attach the neck.

Ayrton, I disagree, why would a plate help even any pressure on any surface other than the back of the body?  at the working end of the screws ( the pointy end ) there is no plate, so therefore there are only four small spots on the back of the neck being pulled towards the body,

Theres a million other things in your signal path between the vibrating strings and the actual speaker, that to single out lack of a neckplate being the cause of bad tone or whatever is just crazy talk. And that goes for a million other things that people give credit to great tone, it's a whole bunch of a lot of things that make for good tone.

I believe that whatever you use to join the neck to the body, if it's tight and rigid enough there will be no loss of tone, You may as well ask warmoth to stop burning the logo into the neck and body pocket, theres a place where theres no wood to wood contact,

As for your old and new ibanez, you can't support your argument based on two different guitars from diferent era's, Go pull two identical guitars off the wall at guitar center and play them, they will be different

In fact, I have a guitar i just put together where I installed shims at the base of the neck to tilt the neck back, I am experimenting with a taller bridge.
I can see a gap between my neck and body. I could almost slide a thin dime in there.    The guitar sounds awesome, plays solid, stays in tune etc...
you wouldnt know that gap was there if i didn't point it out.

Back