countering neck heaviness

not fair. when i made an f-hole joke i got a slew of comments over how inappropriate my comment was...  :(

>If force is being spent holding and balancing the guitar, I'm not making best use of my potential energy and it's an impediment to my hands playing what's in my heart.

i agree with this. whether you are fully concious of it or not, at some level you are constantly struggling to keep the guitar in a desired position. and i don't think that is a good thing when playing where your concentration/energy is better spent on playing.

>I'm using hipshot ultralite tuners which save 1/2 lb from basic BMLs.

seems to be only for bass. any equivalent for guitar?

vtpcnk said:
>I'm using hipshot ultralite tuners which save 1/2 lb from basic BMLs.

seems to be only for bass. any equivalent for guitar?

Yep.  Here are a couple of options:

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=245

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/tuners/soundlock.html

Here's a note from the seven string forum:

The Sound Lock's and the Open back Trimlocks are around the same weight, but the closed back tuners are heavier, I've verified this with a postage scale. The lightest tuner you can get, bar none, is either SoundLock or Open back Trimlock tuner with pearloid/black pearloid button, they weigh in at under 1 ounce each(I believe it was .75oz when I weighed them), where even the Hipshot open back lockers weigh in at 1.25oz. When you have 7-8 tuners at the end of a neutrally balanced or slightly neck heavy guitar, the weight savings will be a huge benefit. That being said, I really like the idea of the Soundlocks, but yes, they are harder to string up.

These are light (5.6 oz), vintage look, great quality, and locking: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Tuners/Gotoh_Locking_Vintage_Oval_Knob_Tuners.html?tab=Specs#details
My second set is in the mail.

guys, thanks for the links.

btw the gotoh locking tuners is it the same as : http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-Vintage-Tuners-Set-of-6-Right-Chrome-P969C728.aspx , except for the locking that is ...

also any idea of a control plate to mount the pots/electronics on? no, i am not talking about a control plate used to seal the electronics cavity on a tele - but a metal plate which lies inside the body and houses the electronics. i think i have seen something similar on old 335 kind of semi-hollows. or something on that line - a nice thick steel plate on which the electronics can be soldered/mounted and so can provide some additional weight to the body.

appreciate any ideas on this.

and btw if the tuner holes already present are for gotoh sg38, then would sperzels etc fit in them or do the tuner holes need to be modified etc?

if the above is true, would gotoh vintage style be a direct fit?

i actually have the gotoh vintage style sold by warmoth on my strat. they offer excellent tuning stability. but i never liked the way they looked - the thin stem and the uneven buttons. and that is one of the reasons that i bought the sg38, primarily because i thought they looked better. but now with the neck heaviness etc, the vintage tuners are looking more and more attractive to me. talk about changing perception ...

You have SG38 now - those weigh 6.7 oz so changing tuners would save you maybe an oz., not very much at all. BTW, you can easily look up all this stuff yourself - I'm assuming you have internet access?  :icon_jokercolor:

>You have SG38 now - those weigh 6.7 oz so changing tuners would save you maybe an oz., not very much at all.

i am not too sure about this. when i got the tuners i felt that they were way heavier than other tuners that i had previously used.

>If force is being spent holding and balancing the guitar, I'm not making best use of my potential energy and it's an impediment to my hands playing what's in my heart.

i agree with this. whether you are fully concious of it or not, at some level you are constantly struggling to keep the guitar in a desired position. and i don't think that is a good thing when playing where your concentration/energy is better spent on playing.

And heavier necks unequivocally sound better, which is why so many builders and great players advocate using them.... always, there's something gained and lost here. If your tone is better, you'll play better... to me the first thing has got to be getting the best sound, not "How comfortable am I?" My bass wouldn't balance, because I put five big elephant-ear tuners on it (for TONE). But I had it routed for a battery in case I needed a preamp, which it turned out I didn't. It's a high-C "tenor" bass, and apparently the preamps help more with low B's. So I had the big hole, and an inch-thick steel gear lying around... I glued it in, then since it worked so well I filled it up with casting resin.

S6300102-1.jpg

S6300103-1.jpg

Now it balances. The gear matches the knobs on the front too.

S6300100-1.jpg

Because of the spin of the earth that causes equatorial BULGE, gravitational pull is stronger towards the poles, so if you face the correct direction you can work with it. In America this means playing always facing East.... :toothy10:

(depending on which hemisphere you're in, though... yeah YOU, Brazilio!) :eek:ccasion14:

(you could also attach a LUNAR ATTRACTOR to your headstock but they only work at night - make sure it's a light one, too) :icon_scratch:

Back