Could use some help deciding...

VinceClortho

I picked up a gorgeous Vortex neck (photo below) from docteurseb a few months back and am starting to give some thought to a body to go with it.  I'm leaning towards a hollow VIP but nothing is set in stone.

index.php

Below are some finish ideas I've run across that have some appeal for one reason or another and might fit the bill.  I don't know if I want to go nuts with the AAA quilt/flame top or perhaps keep it more simple to keep focus on the neck and go with something like Korina that has a bit of flair but isn't as busy.

I'd love to get some opinions, feedback, and other finish, wood, and body ideas from anyone who wants to chime in.

index.php

Attachments

• neck2.jpg
    neck2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 215
  • bodies2.jpg
    bodies2.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 1,515
  • neck.jpg
    neck.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 674
With the color scheme on the neck, I'd go with the Dragon Burst. Or maybe the Emerald City.  :headbang:

I'm feeling Dragon Burst or Emerald City.

Two ways to look at it - the blue on the neck is centralised around the heel, so it'll be mostly covered once it's assembled, BUT, with Emerald City, you'll have the blue on the body surrounding it to compensate. As a whole picture, the fade from green to blue to green to yellow might give a nice kind of rainbow effect.

Or you could go with Dragon Burst and give the body about the same ratio of green to yellow as the neck, and let the blue just be a subtle accent. The advantage here is the yellow on the headstock won't stand out as such a glaring difference from the rest of the instrument.

Leaning towards the latter myself, but I can see both working.

Oh and, I'd definitely go with a quilt or flame to match.

That neck is WILD!!! Great find. I'm thinking dragon burst on black korina. Clearly you have to make an aesthetic decision. If it were me I would probably view the back of the neck as a little treasure to surprise with. But then I tend to go one of two directions: plain solid color bodies and necks with figure on both the back and front, or i tend to go with plain necks and fancy body.

You could do either and succeed in this. But I am thinking dragon burst is your color on this project. If so, everything will be in the same family of color but of course it won't be like a custom built guitar where it was all finished the same way together. Hence the choice of complimenting body or contrasting body.

Yo emerald city or green burst for sure. Its like one of those cool NASA photos where you can see the oort clouds and nebulas 'n' stuff but you also got some oceanic qualities.

Is a good combo. after all, the ocean is essentially outer space but wetter

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.  The Emerald City and Dragon Burst seems to be the popular favorites.  Fortunately, I still have some time to make a decision while I gather funds and let Warmoth work on getting caught up.  Perhaps it will be a fall/winter project.

Now, how about the back?  I'm leaning towards a solid black to compliment the ebony board on the front and keep things from getting too noisy.  :dontknow:

VinceClortho said:
Thank you everyone for your thoughts.  The Emerald City and Dragon Burst seems to be the popular favorites.  Fortunately, I still have some time to make a decision while I gather funds and let Warmoth work on getting caught up.  Perhaps it will be a fall/winter project.

Now, how about the back?  I'm leaning towards a solid black to compliment the ebony board on the front and keep things from getting too noisy.  :dontknow:

I'm thinkin' you got a good idea there.  :icon_thumright:

I'm slightly biased since it was my neck ;-)

I feel like dragon burst (dare I suggest jungle burst too) could be closer to the neck's color palette. Transparent green and blue burst over korina are interesting too.

Emerald City is a cool look and essentially a copy of PRS' Laguna Dragon Breath which is precisely what I was trying to mimic on the neck.
I'd caution that:
- it uses much more vivid colors than on the neck, this may look a bit mismatched. Hard to say without seeing them in person.

- with gradients like that you can't really burst the top. Thus, unless you put binding, you'll have to be OK with the sudden change of color/wood between front and back. Going natural back is an option, or a translucent/solid color. I didn't think trans blue would look good until I saw it but it works pretty well even around the green part of the body:
PS13594C.jpg

Crackle goblin finish is a very interesting thought, and I suspect it would definitely work.
Maybe Emerald city top, crackle goblin back ?  :laughing11:

Back