Could i use a 25.5 scale neck on a body that had a 25.1 scale neck?

urban

So, i've go a samick body that i'm wanting to fit a neck to, I bought just the body off a guy a while ago.
I've tried to find a samick neck but have had no luck, so i though i would just buy a 25.5 scale neck, the original neck was 25.1 scale.
I thought may be i could shim the neck or body slightly to make up for the difference would this work?
Body has a Floyd rose style bridge if that helps.
anyone know of any other guitar that use 25.1 scale necks that i should keep and eye out for?

Hello Urban.

You may wish to view the info via this link before proceeding much further in this.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=faq2

You can probably find a whole Samick guitar in a pawn shop for cheaper than a Warmoth neck. I was just looking, and curiously they seemed to have bought or licensed the old Sears "Silvertone" brand name and are using that now.

http://www.silvertoneguitar.com/products/electric_ssl1/index.htm

Ok Had a chat with a guy that builds custom guitars and he said It might be ok seeing as there is only .4 difference, intonation wise. SO i took the neck off another guitar to trial fit it, as I'll need to get a virgin neck and drill holes to suit. But i have a new problem there is about a millimeter gap above the neck heel, so i'm thinking that samick necks are wider up near the heel. any ideas on how to counter this new problem? I've had a look around for a 2nd had samick but had no luck

oh and here a pick of the body..

You could use a 25 1/2" scale on that body if you added a .4" shim to the neck pocket to move the neck out further and create the 25 1/2" scale length you need. Not sure if the neck would be totally stable though.

NO.  You're going to have to move the bridge and get it to be a 25.5 scale.  No way around it.  Not impossible though.  The milimeter gap can be fixed with a shim.  Good luck.

Moving the bridge on a trem guitar is a pretty big deal. Then you have the added .4" space from the bridge to the bridge pickup. That's going to do ALOT to the sound of the guitar. You might like it, but, then again, you might not.

Don't some Ibanez guitars use a 25.1 scale? If so you could get an ibanez neck if it's off the right guitar...

edit: turns out they do have a 25.1 scale guitar but it's a set neck...

Back