cool finish for a guitar...?????

dmraco

Master Member
I recently just finished spraying a Harley gas tank...now my son wants his bass painted like this....AH the agony...what do you think?  I think OK for a classic tank...too extreme for a bass..

DSC04036.jpg

DSC04039.jpg

DSC04040.jpg

Tres Slick .. I saw Cory Ness shoot one like that ( Arlen's son)  he laid down the base coat , then laid fishnet over it and shot the second , then cleared it .. very cool.

Tough call. That's a damn nice finish, and very attractive. But, you may be right - what's good for the tank may not be good for the bass.

Really, though, it comes down to what the kid wants his bass to look like. It's nobody else's decision.

Man that looks like it would take forever to do....I'm with Andreas, patterns on guitars are gross.

rapfohl09 said:
Man that looks like it would take forever to do....I'm with Andreas, patterns on guitars are gross.

not that long...you would be surprised.  Just some patience....here is a link how it was done..

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1340850

I think it would look cool, but if you were on stage, people wouldn't be able to see the pattern.

It reminds me of a finish I saw once where someone actually used water, to make a water-drop pattern.  They sprayed water on a guitar such that it made little droplets, then sprayed white, grey, and black paint on it, and when the water-drops dryed off, there was a pretty realistic water-drop pattern on the guitar.  It looked really cool, but you really couldn't tell what it was from more than 10 feet away.

I think it would look cool.  Maybe even do a blackburst on the bass too.  Or maybe paint the bass black and use that pattern and color on a big 4 inch stripe across the front. Idk. It's definately cool though.  :headbang1:

It would look like a Louis Vuitton suitcase or something. :blob7:

I don't see it working well on a guitar, but it certainly looks great on a motorcycle.

Depending on the colors, and if a burst was added, it would make one helluva snake finish.  The 80's did end over two decades ago, so it might be time to dust off a little over the top finish ideas.
Patrick

Back