Control Options for L5 Hollowbody

seagulc

Hey guys, I'm going to be ordering an L5 hollowbody and neck from Warmoth very shortly, the only final thing that I have to consider is the control options. I like the idea of having a seperate volume and tone knob for each pickup (HxH configuration) but the Pickup selection switch hole seems badly placed and I'm afraid I could hit it accidentally. Is it possible to get the selector hole drilled by Warmoth in the Les Paul position? I'm also unsure about how the knobs will look, I don't want them to be barely jammed on the side of the guitar so perhaps a strat selection style would be better. Even so, the selector on the strat style is placed under the pickups where my hand could hit accidentally. Any suggestions of what to do?

If this is in the wrong forum my appologies was not too sure where to post this.

For the volume knobs I'd actually prefer only two knobs. Basically I want the selector switch like it is on this guitar: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=6428.0

but this volume knob placement:
Peter_Agras.jpg

Will Warmoth do that for me?

Yes,  this L5S has the 3 way in that position:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=M533&menuItem=13&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0

There are a number of L5S bodies in the Showcase right now with no control or 3-way controls so you can order those drilled as you wish. Sometimes there are options that don't pop up if you order from the webpage, so call them.

Another option, for the brave, is to drill your own 1/2 in. hole in the upper horn. I did it, copying CB, on my thinline tele. You solder the switch connectors then run it through the f-hole into the right spot using a thread or wire.

tfarny said:
Another option, for the brave, is to drill your own 1/2 in. hole in the upper horn. I did it, copying CB, on my thinline tele. You solder the switch connectors then run it through the f-hole into the right spot using a thread or wire.

Warmoth will place it there as well:

L5S4.jpg

dbw said:
Jack, that's an L5S... I think Tim was talking about Thinlines.

Warmoth will do an LP style control layout on a Tele custom ordered for an upcharge, see pic below. As they do the same 3-way toggle location on an L5S body, shouldn't be an issue with a Thinline, although there may be an upcharge for it, call them and ask.

54GTassem.jpg

dbw said:
Aw, jack, that axe is SWEET!  Have we seen it before?  More pics

Just in an old DIY Finishing thread; it's in a box in the basement, 1st round I got the gold top perfect, but screwed up scraping the binding; 2nd round I tried to respray the gold top without redoing the primer, that didn't work, 3rd round I took the top back to bare wood, re-primered but tried to shoot the gold top paint when the temperature was just marginally warm enough, and that didn't work. It's hard to tell from that pic, but there are areas in which the gold top paint isn't uniformly the same color, you just can't spray that stuff unless it's 75 degrees Fahrenheit or better or it won't flow/setup right. I promise to strip it back down and finish it later this year when it gets warmer.

When I ordered my Thinline a few weeks ago, sales guy (Brian I think?) said that they would NOT do LP-style controls on a Thinline. Not even for an upcharge. I guess you have to talk to the right guy...some of them seem to want to get off the phone as quickly as possible!

newmexstrings said:
When I ordered my Thinline a few weeks ago, sales guy (Brian I think?) said that they would NOT do LP-style controls on a Thinline. Not even for an upcharge. I guess you have to talk to the right guy...some of them seem to want to get off the phone as quickly as possible!

+1

Ask to talk to Gregg, I guess, if my memory serves me correctly it was $45 ea. for the Gibson rear route cavity and the LP toggle switch in the upper bout.

Back