Contoured Heel

Doughboy

Hi guys,

I haven't logged onto this forum in ages, but I've been building Warmoths regularly, with my total count being over 20 builds now.

A member sent me an e-mail asking about an old post & more info of my contoured heels, so I decided to log back on & post some pics.

The thing that has me wondering is why Warmoth doesn't offers a contoured heel option.

It would be very easy to program into a CNC machine & charge an extra $50.

I've been buying the bodies raw, contouring the heels, painting them etc. & it's a tedious job.

If Warmoth offered this option, I'd choose them to paint the body as well, which would mean more $$$ for them, less hassle for customers & an option that lots of people would love.

Btw, it's nice to be back on the forum. No idea why I stopped posting & kept building. 🤷

Attachments

• Koa Soloist.jpg
    Koa Soloist.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Koa Strat.JPG
    Koa Strat.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 62
  • P-90.jpg
    P-90.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Ash Strat.jpg
    Ash Strat.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Flame Soloist.jpg
    Flame Soloist.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Flame Tele.jpg
    Flame Tele.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 65
Really well done, thanks for sharing.
Have to agree, I'd have a few Soloists already if they could do an AANJ styled heel. I did see a couple of years ago (40th anniversary post) that they had done one, but nothing eventuated.

Perhaps they'll get on it soon :)

Last edited:
you can't change the screw hole Position and Distance Dimensions , Interchangeable parts with Fender is the core value & cornerstone of their business , it been talk about in this post and this video

any way , still keep screw hole Position and Distance Dimensions , this is my solution with Warmoth body and neck , best options without change Fender's vintage/original USA heel and neck pocket spec . only need change screw length and add 12 mm screw ferrules sunken , which is minimum cost to change .

this is
How to made ergonomic bolt-on heel joint/guitar contour with sample hand tool so it not much more cost to do it by CNC .

I just do the Fender contoured heel (except for my most recent Soloist) and use the Vintage-Modern neck.
Would be convenient if Warmoth offered that while expressing that it cannot be used with the Modern neck construction.

Very nice customisation. I normally favour the fender style heel using the steel plate. I tend to use a lot of torque on the neck bolts so I feel the steel plate helps avoid crushing the wood. At least its more rigid than a glued joint.

I just do the Fender contoured heel (except for my most recent Soloist) and use the Vintage-Modern neck.
Would be convenient if Warmoth offered that while expressing that it cannot be used with the Modern neck construction.
Also, it can be used with a Modern Tilt Back construction, since that style does not have the heel side adjust mechanism.

I struggle with this a lot. I've built 3 Warmoths and all of them have a modified neck heel. I've used 2 Vintage Moderns and a Tiltback specifically for this reason. Sadly, because of the side adjust on so many neck options, which prevents a modified neck heel, it really limits me on considerations for a future build.

'Just did this a few minutes ago. My third one (I'm not a pro).

Attachments

• 20221221_191144.jpg
    20221221_191144.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20221221_191209-1.jpg
    20221221_191209-1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 40
I would also like to add regarding Fender's contoured heel -- not the new one (which is also very cool), but the one they've offered for over 20 years; after looking at many photos online, I am convinced that they are all carved by hand rather than on the CNC.
I draw this conclusion because of so much variation from one guitar to the next. They would all be 100% identical if they were part of the CNC carving process, but they're not. I use the Jeff Beck signature model as my reference for carving my own.

I think it's not just that being fender compatible is a core part of their business, I think it's also that making fender compatible parts is a core part of their staying in business. The moment they stray into *wink wink, nudge nudge* "We don't exactly make complete custom guitars with fender head stocks" *wink wink nudge nudge* the lawyers will pounce. I think fender is kinda ok with you ending up with half a custom guitar, or a parts caster that very much looks like their brand. If Warmoth started pumping out USA customs or arch top S style bodies... yeah, fury from the heavens.

My workshop is currently frozen right now, but this year I plan on insulating it so I can use it full time, and I owe the forums tutorials for doing it, but there are basically 2 ways. The fender curved neckplate on a warmoth contour neck way (with 3 or 4 screws depending on your neck), and the counter sunk bolt way, with more custom contouring like you have above. Both really require a bandsaw or a router jig (or a rasp and a steady hand), and a lot of sanding. Option 2 requires getting a body and a neck without holes, and working around the side adjust mechanism. Then you have to finish it yourself. (Or send it to sim's custom shop or something).

So in essence, warmoth does offer these options with the caveat you need a bunch of tools, patience and nerves of steel to alter something you've already bought. The way they offer it is by giving you the option of receiving unfinished bodies, and necks/bodies without pre-drilled holes. If warmoth switched to "we will not sell this without a finish" and "4 bolt holes is mandatory" that would represent them *not* offering this.

What's kinda weird, and dangerous to your budget is once you have what you need to modify bodies, you are a planer/jointer away from just making your own bodies. There are plenty of templates for routers, but what there isn't too much of is sub millimeter precision CNC paths for arbitrary guitars. I bet thats what warmoth has guarded in a freaking safe with freaking lasers on it.

While it's true that you would need to finish/paint or have the guitar finished/painted yourself, there are not a lot of tools required for the Deluxe (now called the American Professional II) contoured heel like that in my photo. I used a sharp chisel to get the basic carve, and then a sanding block with 220 grit sand paper, then a final sand with 320. It takes only a half-hour. Of course getting in a hurry is the worst thing you can do. I also have Warmoth dowel & fill the unused (which is also the index) hole. No need to order without any holes. I have now carved 3 of these successfully, and I am not a wood worker. It's just really basic if you have a good eye and can copy what you see in a photograph.

Last edited:
I struggle with this a lot. I've built 3 Warmoths and all of them have a modified neck heel. I've used 2 Vintage Moderns and a Tiltback specifically for this reason. Sadly, because of the side adjust on so many neck options, which prevents a modified neck heel, it really limits me on considerations for a future build.

Hi guys,

I haven't logged onto this forum in ages, but I've been building Warmoths regularly, with my total count being over 20 builds now.

A member sent me an e-mail asking about an old post & more info of my contoured heels, so I decided to log back on & post some pics.

The thing that has me wondering is why Warmoth doesn't offers a contoured heel option.

It would be very easy to program into a CNC machine & charge an extra $50.

I've been buying the bodies raw, contouring the heels, painting them etc. & it's a tedious job.

If Warmoth offered this option, I'd choose them to paint the body as well, which would mean more $$$ for them, less hassle for customers & an option that lots of people would love.

Btw, it's nice to be back on the forum. No idea why I stopped posting & kept building. 🤷
I've been attaching Pro Construction Necks to Fender Contour heel bodies for years. I am out of stock for kits and do not know when they will be back in stock, please don't ask when, very busy here. Only reason I landed on unofficial is because all my past build links on my site to unofficial warmoth have been redirected to a warmoth page. Unfortunately it appears the editing feature limits me to the title only.

Below is one of several contour heel pro neck build links, scroll to page bottom to view pertinent pics.​

Thread 'Pro Contour Heel...Built To Play.' https://unofficialwarmoth.com/threads/pro-contour-heel-built-to-play.18052/

For more info google: ProAttach.com

Last edited:
That's very cool. I've just always liked the top-adjust and the light weight of the Vintage Modern necks, but it's good to know that the Modern necks can be used with the Fender contoured heel using that method.

While it's true that you would need to finish/paint or have the guitar finished/painted yourself, there are not a lot of tools required for the Deluxe (now called the American Professional II) contoured heel like that in my photo. I used a sharp chisel to get the basic carve, and then a sanding block with 220 grit sand paper, then a final sand with 320. It takes only a half-hour. Of course getting in a hurry is the worst thing you can do. I also have Warmoth dowel & fill the unused (which is also the index) hole. No need to order without any holes. I have now carved 3 of these successfully, and I am not a wood worker. It's just really basic if you have a good eye and can copy what you see in a photograph.
Sorry, let me clarify again.

Your work is wonderful. I am picky and just kind of don't consider that style of neck joint sufficient, after trying a whole bunch of them. Is it way better than the blocky type? Certainly, but in a world where Ibanez AANJ or fender whatever they call it today has the thin and rounded neck joint, I am less excited about being reminded I am still holding a baby P-bass :p (yes yes, I know thats not the order they came out historically).

What I suggest/prefer is more labor intensive.

That should not be taken as a reflection on your work at all, my apologies.

Sorry, let me clarify again.

Your work is wonderful. I am picky and just kind of don't consider that style of neck joint sufficient, after trying a whole bunch of them. Is it way better than the blocky type? Certainly, but in a world where Ibanez AANJ or fender whatever they call it today has the thin and rounded neck joint, I am less excited about being reminded I am still holding a baby P-bass :p (yes yes, I know thats not the order they came out historically).

What I suggest/prefer is more labor intensive.

That should not be taken as a reflection on your work at all, my apologies.
I understand completely. Your work is far more extensive, and reduces the obstruction even more, offering even greater access. I was just showing an alternative. My guitars have only 22 frets at the most, so it's more an issue of comfort rather than access. I always thought it was ridiculous to have the 90° corner of that square "block" against the palm of my hand when playing on the uppermost frets, especially considering all the other comfort (and stylish) contours that a Strat incorporates. It's like Fender dropped the ball on that area, and continued the practice for half a century. Even today, only the top of-the-line models get a contoured heel, which is STUPID. Everything but the vintage re-issues should have a contoured heel in the 21st century. It doesn't change the classic look of the guitar (it's on the back, for cryin' out loud!). I love what Leo Fender started, but today's Fender is nothing but a big corporation that is far removed from him. I'll never buy a another new Fender guitar when I can build my own that is better.

I was about to make a new post but it seems there's already a recent discussion on the "contoured heel", so I'll pose my question here.

I'm planning a Carved Top Velocity build, Warmoth neck, modern tiltback, standard thin, 22 frets with the contoured heel. Does this make high fret access comfortable? I'm used to my PRS' (CE24 and SE22) and EBMM (Silhouette Special 2001), I play a lot of Petrucci stuff and if high fret access is a pain, I'm going to be incredibly disappointed at the finish line.

Thank you!

I was about to make a new post but it seems there's already a recent discussion on the "contoured heel", so I'll pose my question here.

I'm planning a Carved Top Velocity build, Warmoth neck, modern tiltback, standard thin, 22 frets with the contoured heel. Does this make high fret access comfortable? I'm used to my PRS' (CE24 and SE22) and EBMM (Silhouette Special 2001), I play a lot of Petrucci stuff and if high fret access is a pain, I'm going to be incredibly disappointed at the finish line.

Thank you!

This thread is about making contoured heels of a different type to that currently offered by Warmoth. Though I find, the Warmoth contoured heel option works well, that said comfort is subjective at the end of the day.

Back