Contoured Heel and the Neck screws

shaneman

Question:
I have a VIP Body w/ contoured heel.  I have a standard thin Neck on the way.  Do I use all short screws for the neck plate or do I use 2 short and 2 long.  Also, I was told by the dude at Warmoth to use a curved humbucker mounting ring for the VIP, but....Just like I read from Jack on a separate post....there is too much of a gap between the mounting ring and the body.  A flat mounting ring is the way to go I think for this body. 

Later guys,
Shane :guitaristgif:

2 short, 2 long screws for the contoured heel.
Depending on the amount of carve, flat pickup rings can work. Metal ones can bend a bit, plastic can bend more. Curved rings will not unbend.

All the plastic ones can be sanded on the bottom to get the curve and height just right.

Gregg Stewart said:
All the plastic ones can be sanded on the bottom to get the curve and height just right.

One of those diamond dust encrusted nail files that your wife/girlfriend has is a great tool for leveling out plastic pickup rings. Just don't let her catch you "borrowing" it.

Right On Guys!  Thanks for the help.  I'm so excited.  Warmoth is shipping me the rest of my components and then all I need is my Neck.  I'll start this weekend on the electronics installation.  I think I've got the wiring diagram down, but I'm not to sure about a black wire that runs between the two pots soldered on the top.  I can't figure if I need to add one  or what.  It doesn't seem to come from anywhere in particular. 

Any ideas?  http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w

Thanks guys,
Shane-O

Back