Considering an Ebony Fretboard

Plus, and please don't take this the wrong way.  I like to build mine so it doesn't look like the ones hanging on the wall at the store.  One of a kind?  Custom order anyway.  If you're going to build a Strat with all the Strat colors, woods, and options, Fender has already done that.  Maybe get that Ebony board on a Maple neck, or a Pao Ferro with no dots.  It's yours, and if there's another one like it in existence, it's because that's what someone intentionally ordered.  A friend of mine has a Fender Deluxe Strat something or other in Sienna Burst.  Beautiful guitar, but he knows someone else with the same guitar.  That never happens here.  Volitions Advocate maybe, but that's another thread.

I would love it if my Ebony had some streaks in it.  I think it makes it extra one of a kind.
I use Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes fretboard conditioner about every 2-3 months to keep the ebony glossy & extra smooth. The small box has 25 wipes for around 5-10 dollars.  Really inexpensive imho.

I have a Mahogany 59 roundback with Ebony fretboard & 6150 stainless steel frets.  It's the greatest neck I have ever played on and is one of the reasons I'm still on this board a year later.
Here's a couple pics:

First is Day 1, with old neck neck to it
Second is After first setup
Third is about a half hour after using a EB wipe on it.
(i've since changed the bridge, but whatever)

Attachments

• IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 643
  • IMAG0063.jpg
    IMAG0063.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 580
  • StratNov29-2010.jpg
    StratNov29-2010.jpg
    680.3 KB · Views: 559
Lots of great information placed on this forum since I last posted yesterday, greatly appreciated.

My son does want a unique guitar, yet not compormise what he likes in a guitar.  And one thing he likes is rosewood fretboards.  That link

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Fingerboard_cleaner,_stain_and_oil/Black_Fingerboard_Stain.html

was interesting, as one person who bought it also made a review.  He stated that he had used the stain on a rosewood fretboard.  So if my son wishes to get the softer wood of the rosewood, he can still have a jet black colored fretboard.

All the best,

alex

Personally, I don't like ebony. It's a bright sounding wood. Compared to Indian rosewood, you feel like you're missing out on some of the mid frequencies. Compared to maple, there's less character and snap.

Aesthetically, ebony is naturally chocolate coloured with streaks and highlights. Guitar makers have fallen into the habit of dying ebony boards to have a flat black appearance.

If you want a compromise between Ebony and Indian Rosewood, I can recomend Pau Ferro. It has more snap than Indian Rosewood, but is less bright than Ebony.

PackerBhoy said:
So if my son wishes to get the softer wood of the rosewood, he can still have a jet black colored fretboard.

One issue there. If you are getting a finished neck, the sides of the fretboard will likely be finished also. So dyeing the face of the board may still leave some dark brown in the sides.

If you are getting an unfinshed neck (exotic that doesn't need a finish or doing it yourself), no problem.

be careful  :icon_tongue: the guys on this forum will quickly convert you to some sort of exotic wood over maple (they've converted me). from what I've heard, unfinished wood is a much nicer feel over a finished neck, and there are plenty of exotic woods that will sound similar to maple . . . .  :icon_thumright: (just something to think about. special woods is one of the perks of building a Warmoth)

B3Guy said:
be careful  :icon_tongue: the guys on this forum will quickly convert you to some sort of exotic wood over maple (they've converted me). from what I've heard, unfinished wood is a much nicer feel over a finished neck, and there are plenty of exotic woods that will sound similar to maple . . . .  :icon_thumright: (just something to think about. special woods is one of the perks of building a Warmoth)

Yeah, I'm kinda of late to the topic/thread - but when I ordered my Ebony neck I didn't see any "jet black" option, and
believe me, I would have picked it if I would have seen it. I just assumed (I know, I know) that it was going to be a
uniform black like I saw on a bajillion other guitars at various music stores... I was really bummed when I finally got
the box from UPS and it had this:

done6.jpg

Only for the sheer reason, it wasn't what (I thought) I wanted, rather expected, in my "minds' eye". Others on the forum informed
me of the black dye option, followed shortly thereafter of threats to my personal well-being if I did dye it.  :icon_biggrin:

Needless to say, I'm glad I left it as-is, and looking back I'm so happy the random-wood-choice gods smiled upon me and
my new neck as I absolutley love it now specifically because its not a uniform jet black!

I just needed my fellow peers on this forum to slap me a around a bit and open my eyes to what a great thing being unique is.

:rock-on:

ORCRiST

Personally, I prefer non-black ebony. I like the gray streaks and other such colors in it. The neck looks like a beauty, if it's any consolation?

Other than that, I was always in the understanding that the fretboard tone actually changes timbre. The result of ebony would be a percussive attack. Really good for heavy distortion that requires an articulate sound. But that's just what I'm told  :laughing3:

Back