Completed: Honey Burst VIP w/ Floyd Rose, complemented by Floyd :)

hailstorm350

Hey there folks,
I saw like 5 total completed VIPs on these forums, and thought I'd contribute mine.

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/hailstorm350/Guitar.htm

About the title: I was in Guitar Showcase in San Jose, CA and was getting my Floyd Rose adjusted professionally.  About ten minutes after I got there, I see a guy walk in holding a new guitar I had never seen with a Floyd-like looking bridge and no tuners on the headstock! He came in and immediately got the attention of all the staff, and as he walked by, he checked out my guitar and said, "I really like your guitar, especially the neck, nice neck on that thing!"  Immediately after he walked away, the guy fixing up my guitar turned to me and said "Dude, did you know that was Floyd Rose?"
Haha, so Floyd Rose himself complimented my warmoth guitar with a floyd rose trem in it!

Annnyways, I hope you enjoyed that story, and this guitar has been my only guitar for at least 5 years now and plays like a dream. Only downsides are, the neck is starting to get dirty, like the pores are filling up only I have no idea how to clean it, and the bridge is slightly crooked from slightly mis-drilled balance posts.

Nowadays, I have a DiMarzio Pup in the bridge position, and my tuners are installed backwards.

let me know if you want anymore details or photos :)

Nice axe!  :icon_thumright:

As far as how to clean the neck goes it depends. It looks like a a flame maple neck, does it have a finish?

@NonsenseTele: you knocking my case boy? :p haha, thanks for the complement :)

@Blue313: I'm not sure how much of a finish it has, it's not rough at all, but it does feel a little 'grainy' if you feel it on the non-worn-down spots, and a bit smoother on the back of the neck where its used frequently. I think it may just be oil finished, is there any method of cleaning it? I took an eraser to a little chunk of it and it seemed to help a little tiny bit, but not deep enough to get rid of the real blackened spots

seemed to me he was complimenting the case because he didn't have anything nice to say about the guitar. Either way I wouldn't let him get away with it hahaha. :laughing7:

What kind of pickups are on the guitar in the picture? Is the bridge a F-spaced one or just normal?

GoDrex said:
What kind of pickups are on the guitar in the picture? Is the bridge a F-spaced one or just normal?

actually, I dunno if they're in business anymore, but the pickups are by a company called custom shop parts, very low priced stuff, and I got both pickups for 40 total  :icon_thumright: my tuner set cost like 30 total too haha.

The pickups are just PAF buckers, I can't remember the impedance on them though, but they sounded real nice for a long time, then I got tired of the bridge and replaced it with a dimarzio with MUCH better harmonics and dynamics.  The neck p-up still sounds super warm and really for the price you can't beat em.

The bridge is a floyd, so I'm not sure it it's automatically F-spaced. It's the original floyd, not schaller or knockoff.

This guitar has played like a dream for so long, I think I'm going to get a fret job soon, as some of my frets are almost down to the wood  :tard:

hailstorm350 said:
lol, you really are nonsense tele  :eek:
I meant I thought you were making fun of my case, and I was just going along with it...

I'm the nonsense one, but some linguistic problems here...

And the things about case was just joke :D

I'll offer my english translations for you nonsense , I never knew people text with an accent ,too :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

hailstorm350 said:
GoDrex said:

actually, I dunno if they're in business anymore, but the pickups are by a company called custom shop parts, very low priced stuff, and I got both pickups for 40 total  :icon_thumright: my tuner set cost like 30 total too haha.

The pickups are just PAF buckers, I can't remember the impedance on them though, but they sounded real nice for a long time, then I got tired of the bridge and replaced it with a dimarzio with MUCH better harmonics and dynamics.  The neck p-up still sounds super warm and really for the price you can't beat em.

The bridge is a floyd, so I'm not sure it it's automatically F-spaced. It's the original floyd, not schaller or knockoff.

This guitar has played like a dream for so long, I think I'm going to get a fret job soon, as some of my frets are almost down to the wood  :tard:

I meant the bridge pickup. Pickups are f-spaced or normal.

kreig said:
I'll offer my english translations for you nonsense , I never knew people text with an accent ,too :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:
What I didn't get was the meaning of knocking in that phrase... sounded like "dirty joke" to me  :laughing7:

hailstorm350 said:
I'm not sure how much of a finish it has, it's not rough at all, but it does feel a little 'grainy' if you feel it on the non-worn-down spots, and a bit smoother on the back of the neck where its used frequently. I think it may just be oil finished, is there any method of cleaning it? I took an eraser to a little chunk of it and it seemed to help a little tiny bit, but not deep enough to get rid of the real blackened spots

Well, since your unsure of the finish then I'd suggest a rag that's just barely damp with naphtha aka lighter fluid.  It's safe in small amounts even on lacquer.  Its good on fretboard too, really gets the crud.  Also if the crud is organic in nature, saliva does a great job.  Not a spit wad with more 'organics' in it....just clean saliva.

If its an oil finish the cleaning will remove and/or dissolves(naphtha) some of the oil.  You may want to consider re-oiling with some linseed or lemon oil, especially the fretboard.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
NonsenseTele said:
Like the case  :laughing7: (just kidding)

That's like looking at Dolly Parton and commenting on her eyes.  LOL

lol, I get it now, guess it was just too dry of a joke for me to get right away :p

Blue313 said:
hailstorm350 said:
I'm not sure how much of a finish it has, it's not rough at all, but it does feel a little 'grainy' if you feel it on the non-worn-down spots, and a bit smoother on the back of the neck where its used frequently. I think it may just be oil finished, is there any method of cleaning it? I took an eraser to a little chunk of it and it seemed to help a little tiny bit, but not deep enough to get rid of the real blackened spots

Well, since your unsure of the finish then I'd suggest a rag that's just barely damp with naphtha aka lighter fluid.  It's safe in small amounts even on lacquer.  Its good on fretboard too, really gets the crud.  Also if the crud is organic in nature, saliva does a great job.  Not a spit wad with more 'organics' in it....just clean saliva.

If its an oil finish the cleaning will remove and/or dissolves(naphtha) some of the oil.  You may want to consider re-oiling with some linseed or lemon oil, especially the fretboard.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to get a hold of some of that naphtha soon, and I'll just use it all over the neck  to clean it up. Ive got this stuff called guitar honey that has a bunch of oils in it that I use on my fingerboard but I"ll get some linseed oil like you suggest.

Thanks for the comments and complements guys, this guitar means a lot to me.

After you clean it up real good, try a dab of oil somewhere inconspicuous on the neck, like the back of the peghead.  Give it an hour and then see how the cleaned neck feels to play on and how the oiled spot looks and feels in comparison.  Pure tung oil is also good, but just like pure linseed oil it takes awhile to dry.  And don't go heavy, think micro thin. 

Just be careful if you discover you have an actual finish on there.  Most likely the oil will just gum up if it does.

Back