Completed---Finally---Fireburst VIP

Fish Out of Water

http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t357/dls6571/VIP/VIP8.jpg

This is my completed VIP.

I actually finished this back in early September, but I've been away for a few months and I am just now getting around to posting this picture.  I can't seem to get e very good shot of the depth of the coloring through the quilted maple, but this was the best that I could do.

OK, now to the specs;

Body is chambered mahogony with a quilted maple top capped off with some creme binding.  Comfort contour around the belly and a contoured heel joint. 

The neck is magogony as well with an ebony fret board with a 1 5/8" nut width.  The back of the neck has a very light satin finish which I love.  The fret board has oval perloid inlays starting at the 3rd fret.  I didn't like them at first but they have really grown on me over the past few months and now I can't see this guitar with any other type of inlay.  It's the shorter scale (24 3/4") warmoth pro neck.

The guitar has a Wilkinson trem with a graphite nut and planet waves tuners.  For pickups we have a Seymour Duncan SD in the bridge and a jazz in the neck.  Both are wired to a push/pull tone pot for dual to single coil switching. 

I can get great tones both single coil and humbucking from this guitar.  In fact, I've stopped playing my other guitars completely and I have 2 Les Pauls and a Fender Strat that I've customized.

This guitar blows my other guitars away, hands down.  In fact, I've already began piecing together my next build.

Thanks to all who helped out and gave me advice,

Dave
Philadelphia, PA

for those who prefer not to click links - here you go ...

VIP8.jpg

R

Very nice!!  :headbang:

I'm confused on the bridge pup.  Isn't the SD a Dimarzio?  :icon_scratch:

Mooooooo' pics!  :blob7:

Fish said:
Hey SkuttleFunk...how'd you do that??

Click on the box with a frame that will show "picture" and put the link of the picture in the middle of the "
 and img) and put the link...

I like the choice of the oval inlays with that body shape. Lots of nice movement in the lines  :eek:ccasion14:

Nice guitar!  How do you like the Bridge?  For getting good pictures, I feel your pain.  The only thing I can suggest is find a way to put as much light on the guitar as possible and then find an angle that looks good.  That still doesn't always work, but that is how I got my keeper picts.  It's a beauty!
Patrick

Thanks to "The Dangerous One"  for the kick ass neck plate!!!  I'll have to post a pic of the back of the guitar.

I'm really diggin' the wilky, but I'm thinkin about blocking it so that the trem only goes down since I never pull up on the bridge.  I usually just waggle it abit or scoop notes with it.  I just hope that it doesn't alter the tone too much.  Any suggestions??

The Tremol-no is a very nice thing to add.  I hear that it can be a bear to set up the first time.  But, once you figure out how to adjust the screws that hold the trem claw then it is a great add.  Lets you have fixed, dive bomb only, and full trem with the tightening of a couple thumb screws.  My buddy can't stop raving about it.  I usually just piss him off by saying that is why I get fixed bridges, they don't need all the doo-hickey's, and thing a mah jigs to play right.  He laughs that, "You're a (bleep) laugh."  Then goes on about the virtues of trems.  Back to the original thought, the Tremel-no works as promised, and very well in my opinion. 
Patrick

Fish said:
Thanks to "The Dangerous One"  for the kick ass neck plate!!!  I'll have to post a pic of the back of the guitar.

I'm really diggin' the wilky, but I'm thinkin about blocking it so that the trem only goes down since I never pull up on the bridge.  I usually just waggle it abit or scoop notes with it.  I just hope that it doesn't alter the tone too much.  Any suggestions??
You're very welcome Fish... :icon_thumright:

Patrick from Davis said:
The Tremol-no is a very nice thing to add.  I hear that it can be a bear to set up the first time.  But, once you figure out how to adjust the screws that hold the trem claw then it is a great add.  Lets you have fixed, dive bomb only, and full trem with the tightening of a couple thumb screws.  My buddy can't stop raving about it.  I usually just piss him off by saying that is why I get fixed bridges, they don't need all the doo-hickey's, and thing a mah jigs to play right.  He laughs that, "You're a (bleep) laugh."  Then goes on about the virtues of trems.  Back to the original thought, the Tremel-no works as promised, and very well in my opinion. 
Patrick

It's an awesome unit, I swear by it. I know Kevan, the inventor of the Tremol-no.  He's the most professional gentleman to deal with.  When it's not locked, you never know it's there.  It's totally natural feeling.  I drop into Dropped-D in dive only mode or hardtail mode all the time and it works flawlessly.  When locked into hardtail mode, it makes string changes go by so fast, and intonating is easier also.

Back