Compatible bodies

Rampant

I am thinking of doing a warmoth build... but I just can't afford the cost of one of their bodies.  I don't have the time/inclination to do a finish, so where can I get a quality, compatible body for a warmoth neck? 

Ideally a soloist or something like that.

Well, your sort of asking "which one of Warmoth's competitors should i choose instead of Warmoth..."

Mighty Mite makes cheap bodies. Maybe try eBay?

My best advice is to save up your money for a while, it will definitely be worth it in the end.

there is an ebay store that rips apart new fenders and sells the body's and necks. Warmoth necks are fully compatible with most 4 bolt fender bodies.

Brian

what makes warmoth bodies so much better?

I play metal, so, while I consider the neck of utmost importance, my main interest in the body is that it is cool lookin and comfy.  Reading on warmoth bodies, it sounds like the various comfort contours are a bit shallow - me, i would like them DEEPER than normal.

then you gotta buy an unfinnished body and do the mods yourself. I dont know if Warmoth will do a custom contour like that...it would probably be hand work instead of cnc at their factory.

Brian

Given your request, what you want is to buy a fender (or warmoth body) off of ebay.  Sometimes you can catch a good deal.  Let us know what you find.

The comfort contours are not any more shallow than on a normal strat, if that's the body type you're referring to.
As for, what makes warmoth bodies so much better - better than what? They're not any more expensive than the competition for your basic strat / teles, and cheaper than most. Check out allparts, stewmac, USACG, etc. - they're all around the same prices. You may be stuck looking at the higher-end finished carved top bodies, in which case Warmoth actually has no competitors. Look on the screamin deals page - there are several lightweight, contoured heel bodies right now that would make a great metal guitar, both pre-finished and unfinished. I have made several nice guitars for less than a grand each, not fancy ones but great players all. This one would have made a great metal guitar and I spent, I think, $700.

Some of the reasons that we are all Warmoth addicts is that the fit and finish of the product is equal to the product coming out of high-end custom shops. Another is that they offer a huge range of options that nobody else does. Thirdly, their customer service is for the most part great - call them up and a friendly, knowledgeable person answers the phone right away.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-Charvel-Candy-Blue-San-Dimas-Guitar-Body-Alder_W0QQitemZ260425526101QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3ca2922b55&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1240|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

On bodies routed like that...is that a floyd route?  Or could I mount a wilkenson or something on it?

I would guess that's a non-recessed Floyd Rose route, since it's on a Charvel. I don't *think* a wilkie would fit perfectly in there.

KNE has some basic bodies for around $115, however personally, I would still prefer to add 20$ and get a screaming deals body for 135 - 150

well, I don't have any interest in doing the finish myself, so, I am looking for finished bodies.  I will keep an eye on the "screaming deals" section.

check out some pawnshops, I have bought squiers for 15 and 20 for parts..
the parts sucked of course, but the bodies are not that bad.. the indonesian ones will be a little bit thinner, but still 'pimpable' (is that a word? well it is now :))

tfarny said:
Look on the screamin deals page - there are several lightweight, contoured heel bodies right now that would make a great metal guitar, both pre-finished and unfinished. I have made several nice guitars for less than a grand each, not fancy ones but great players all. This one would have made a great metal guitar and I spent, I think, $700.

That's great advice.  I picked up a finished Thinline for a smidgen over $200 because it was blemished. I'd been looking for a thinline project, and was willing to compromise on colour in this instance. A week later a body I'd been lusting over for months turned up on the deals page too, and that baby was mine as well  :hello2:

If you have some patience, you can keep checking the deals page out as your saving up.

Are there body woods that, like some neck woods, do not require a finish?  Or could be stained without further complicated finishing?  That would save me hundreds.

It wouldn't save you very much. Exotic wood can get expensive. Warmoth doesn't have these wood options on their website except for Indian Rosewood which costs $500 for the basic stratocaster body. However people have called up Warmoth and asked for all Padouk or Wenge bodies. You could call them up and ask for price quotes on various all exotic wood bodies.

Here are some possibilities: bubinga, padouk, rosewood, wenge, and zebrawood.

I'm not sure what super-expensive bodies you're looking at - here are a few nice ones under 250 finished:
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=ps2542&Body=2&Path=Body
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=ps3837&Body=2&Path=Body
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=PS3375&Body=2&Path=Body
Any could be made into a great metal guitar - just get it floyd & bucker routed for no extra charge.

As for self-finishing, it's really a whole nother hobby, very fun but also very time consuming and messy. If you really have no interest I'd forget about it, and you need to buy a bunch of things like special sandpaper, sanding blocks, etc anyhow. The easiest possible finish would be an alder, poplar, or basswood body that requires no grain fill, some type of stain that you can get in any paint store, and a clear oil or wipe on poly finish. Alternatively, grab one of those woods and go for the basic krylon spray finish. But I wouldn't do it just to save money - you're likely to be much happier looking for discounted finished bodies. "First finishes" are not usually as good as you probably want. Patience, grasshopper!

^ +1 to the yellow! especially if you're looking for a shredder. what's cooler than a yellow w/ black pickguard?

JaySwear said:
^ +1 to the yellow! especially if you're looking for a shredder. what's cooler than a yellow w/ black pickguard?
A butterscotch telecaster with maple neck and black pickguard.
Well, I guess it is Yellowish with black pickguard :p

while I like metal, I am not really into the 80s neon thing.  I don't want a floyd on it, either hardtail or wilkenson.  Probably hardtail, cause wilks cost money and I already have a floyd'd jackson.

flat color bodies are boring.  If I was going with a flat color, I would just get some torn apart MIM from ebay... which I might do.

If you can stain a body, you probably can do the true oil or wipe on poly finish too!
just get a poplar or ash screaming deals body.
if you skip the grain filling you will still have the natural feel

Back