ColorTone Nitrocellulose aerosol vs Mohawk Finishers Choice Clear Gloss Lacquer

SH9195

Any experience using either ColorTone Nitrocellulose aerosol or Mohawk Finishers Choice Clear Gloss Lacquer?  I live in the southeast so humidity is always a bit high. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Colortone lacquer is relabled mohawk lacquer that's sold for more. Finishers choice lacquer is excellent. This is finishers choice gloss lacquer.

Attachments

• 20200711_010501.jpg
    20200711_010501.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 231
I’ve only ever bought the Color tone clear from stewmac, and that was to do a headstock with a waterslide. I live in the southeast as well and had to wait a few days for the humidity to be lower than 65%. When it was above i risked it by going into the garage, which stays closed most of the time and sprayed the headstock in the closet so overspray wouldn’t drift onto my car. It turned out great with no problems. Using the stewmac polishing papers i sanded from 600- i think 5000 is the final grit. Then i buffed it out with sonax perfect finish and i was happy with it. I also put a few coats of color tone straw on the neck before finishing it to try and match a few 50’s strat necks i found in color. I didn’t want amber as it always looked like a spray tan to me haha. I followed the below tutorial for finishing over a waterslide decal and had no issues. I used a Rothko and Frost decal.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/decal-application-pic-tutorial.682386/

Back