Colored Oil.., - Updated

W

whyachi

Any ideas how to recreate Warwick's "colored oil" finish? On ash you can feel the grain and it almost feels waxed, but Warwick says you aren't supposed to wax it. Apparently its some sort of color + sealer + something else that feels like wax.

Any tnoughts?

Back in the days before alkyd chemistry was invented colored oils (pigmented boiled linseed oil) went under the highly technical name 'paint.'

But my first look at that body says black milk paint (more likely an acrylic substitute) followed by some sort of flat/satin sealer.  

Milk paints are actually pretty cool, they go on super thin, adhere like nothing else, but can also be sanded, and if you are into the relic look they wear really nicely.  They must be applied to bare wood though, or on top of other milk paint, but work lousy on top of anything else.

If you like the look but don't want the wear then you seal the stuff with a modern acrylic clear coat.

Is that a cheap plastic control cover!? ROTFL! :toothy12:

Beautiful finish though, I love the way the gray mates with the neck wood.

line6man said:

Beautiful finish though, I love the way the gray mates with the neck wood.

That's what made it appealing in the first place.

line6man said:

I think that cheap plastic cover is a quick-removal cover so you can reach the battery in the control cavity for a quick change without a screwdriver.

bagman67 said:
line6man said:

I think that cheap plastic cover is a quick-removal cover so you can reach the battery in the control cavity for a quick change without a screwdriver.

It is indeed, and it's far from cheap!

Colored oil? WHY YOU SUMBI....

cs_085.jpg

If you dye and Tru-Oil swamp ash without grain filling, what would happen? I don't want a smooth gloss surface, I want the wood to feel as naked as possible, with just enough finish on it to keep it protected. Essentially the same as the Warwick in post #1.

Thanks for answering questions for future build #13..  :doh:

Back