CNC milled factory installed compensated nut

arkivel

obviously there would be licensing issues, and most guitarists still don't appreciate or understand the benefits of a compensated nut, but one can dream. Can you imagine the precision of a CNC milled nut that is compensated for each individual option on a Warmoth neck? It would blow away the after-market stuff. It would also provide an opportunity to design a very clean looking OEM nut that doesn't require such a wide nut slot - ie the LSR slot for Fender guitars. The nut could just be moved closer to the first fret.

I understand that this option will probably never happen, but I wonder if it's possible to have a modified nut slot option. If I were to design my own compensated nut, could I get the nut slot moved closer to the first fret or have the slot deleted altogether so I could cut it myself?

Aside from being compensated, most of the Warmoth nuts are CNC'd.
I personally watched a graphite nut being shaped & slotted last year while there.

I don't know how someone can license or patent the recessed portion of a compensating nut. the fact is, theres an optimum place for the slots in a nut to be, and it's not random, nor arbitrary.

Seems to me that would be the same as patenting pi....3.1417 yada yada yada. Alls you gotta do is show that yo didn't copy earvana.

I'd love to see Warmoth create and offer their own comp nut

And if they could make a floyd rose locking compensation nut that would be like
all my Christmases coming at once. Earvana have had one in the works for about
120 years give or take, how hard can it be?

+1 the above. My Earvana sounded great but it's ugly and messy to install, and now it's 'sitaring' and driving me crazy (too soft materials, I think). Compensated graphite and corian nuts!!!!

I'm getting rid of the one I put on my cheap strat because the cheap plastic sucks - sitaring is good way to describe it. I like the way it works but the quality isn't good.

tfarny said:
+1 the above. My Earvana sounded great but it's ugly and messy to install, and now it's 'sitaring' and driving me crazy (too soft materials, I think). Compensated graphite and corian nuts!!!!

Midi rose had one machine from brass, then he slotted it himself.  Not sure if that was on the old forum or if it's archived somewhere on this one, but man, it looked sweeeet!!!

Here's midirose's masterpiece... the picture of the nut is about halfway down the page.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=56.0

Home made - it works and sounds great.

BengalLP022.jpg

Gregg, please PM or email me if you could do something like that from corian or graphite!

How does a brass nut sound on an electric? I'd definitely prefer something like this to the plastic earvana's I have now.

Brass transfers vibration quite nicely, a little bit brighter sounding.  At one time during the early 80's, Ibanez did a nut that was bone on the fretboard side, and brass on the headstock side, and they sounded really great.

Open chords should ring out with a sharp sustain, but not brittle bright like a poorly eq'd strat.

A friend did that one for me and won't do another because of the time it takes.

I do prefer metal nuts over other materials. The notes are clearer, ring longer and sound like my fretted notes.

I love the brass compensated nut - I am sure there would be a market for it if it could be mass produced. I fitted an earvana compensated nut to my last but one Warmoth. It was messy and fiddly to fit and I am sure I am going to break it eventually and it does seem to be made from soft weak material. I fitted a standard corian nut to my last Warmoth build as I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of another earvana.

Bring on the Warmoth brass compensated nut ................please !!!

Ok, I can't take it anymore, I tried, but it just has to be said.

What exactly are you compensating for with that set of brass nuts  :icon_jokercolor: ?

please forgive me, I am a bafoon

Alfang said:
I don't know how someone can license or patent the recessed portion of a compensating nut. the fact is, theres an optimum place for the slots in a nut to be, and it's not random, nor arbitrary.

Seems to me that would be the same as patenting pi....3.1417 yada yada yada. Alls you gotta do is show that yo didn't copy earvana.

I'd love to see Warmoth create and offer their own comp nut

I'm extremely confused by the patent issue. Both Ernie Ball and Earvana have been issued patents for compensated guitar nuts. Ernie Ball filed 5 years prior to Earvana in 1998 yet the Earvana filing makes no reference to Ernie Ball. Dimarzio also filed and was awarded a patent for a compensated Lute nut in 1980 which was referenced by Ernie Ball in their filing.

Earvana:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6706957.html

Ernie Ball:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6433264.html

Dimarzio - Lute:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4295404.html

F*ck patents.  That's right, f*ck them all.  Since 1952, you need only show that your idea is "non-obvious" which covers just about everything.  I could probably go "invent" a compensated nut with "F*CK THE US PATENT OFFICE" printed on it and patent it as "A method for properly intonating stringed instruments while simultaneously protesting United States patent law."

Back