church music

rockskate4x

I was pleasantly surprised by all of the positive responses to tonytheflyingsquirrels church music sound clips and was curious how many of you actually play at a church or in a worship team.

Yup.  All around the Pacific Northwest.  This month: Bass last week @ our main service, acoustic guitar this week for our high school ministry, electric guitar @ friend's church, bass @ main service the following week and finally bass at another church.

I played in praise and worship bands as well as Christian rock bands in HS and college but have since been corrupted and haven't been to a church in years.

I'm not religious myself, but I think it's great if you are and you play music for your church.  It's always nice to see people using their talents to do something positive that contributes to their community rather than getting into the scuzzy side of the music scene.

Taught myself chords using basic worship tunes I was able to get from Bible studies.  Currently play acoustic and bass in my church's small worship team. 

Once I get my new W strat up and running, I hope to add that to the mix.

Lapsed Jew here, so nope.  Though the first chords I learned were to Jewish folk songs.

yeah, church sorta put me on my musical feet, I was invited by the pastor to kinda tag along with the worship band until I felt comfortable playing in a group setting. I still play stuff with the same people now, even if we're just jamming and not working on a song set for church.

Oh yeah... we dues blues...

I was raised Mormon (haven't been a believer since 14), and they don't allow guitar music in church, not even a classical guitar. Pianos and organs are pretty much it. I thought of guitars as a way of 'rebelling' against church when I was a kid. It's great to hear so many of you are able to play music you love and worship at the same time, very cool.

Oh, yeah... tons of Christian Churches, (at least here in CA) are becoming a lot less stiff and old fashioned with the music...

My church doesn't have a lot of youth, but the old people still really get into the 'lectric wankage that we got going on. It's pretty cool.

Thanks to reform Jewish youth groups in the '60s and '70s, who were really into the folk-music/soft-rock scene of the time, acoustic guitars are everywhere in synagogues.  Mine didn't usually have guitar in services but I know of temples where the rabbi plays guitar, or even in a full band, as part of services.  Which kicks ass.  :headbang1:

tfarny said:
I was raised Mormon (haven't been a believer since 14), and they don't allow guitar music in church, not even a classical guitar. Pianos and organs are pretty much it. I thought of guitars as a way of 'rebelling' against church when I was a kid. It's great to hear so many of you are able to play music you love and worship at the same time, very cool.

I went to a Mormon church event once because I had a friend who was Mormon and was singing and invited everyone from school to watch it, and I think they had guitar in it.  I remember for sure that there was a woman playing the banjo too.  Though, it wasn't a regular church service, it was like a 9/11 memorial thing, so maybe the rules weren't the same. 

I do!

I might have my Warmoth done by this Sunday, so I will possibly play it on Easter.  :headbang:

We do some pretty rockin stuff along with some of the more mellow stuff, the other guitarist in the band is a big RUSH fan as well.  :icon_biggrin:

I started off learning so I could be in my church worship group. I only wish I was good enough to play in the band of my new church www.newspring.cc

Me and the devil don't get along real well, but I play metallica and stuff cuz it's a waste of good music not to...

I'm not religious at all, so no, but I usually learn a few worship tunes around Christmas time.  But as soon as that's over, it's back to "the devil's music."  :party07:

Back