church music

rockskate4x said:
Me and the devil don't get along real well, but I play metallica and stuff cuz it's a waste of good music not to...
A friend of the devil is a friend of mine. :p
Once I get better at guitar, I may join my church's youth group's band. It should be good practice.

rockskate4x said:
and atheists, who believe in Science religeously.

My friend is a hardcore athiest.  He firmly believes there is nothing supernatural out there, with religious tenacity.  I think he is silly.  :laughing7:

hannaugh said:
rockskate4x said:
and atheists, who believe in Science religeously.

My friend is a hardcore athiest.  He firmly believes there is nothing supernatural out there, with religious tenacity.  I think he is silly.   :laughing7:

so true, atheists can be really obsessed these days. I heard they are buying advertising space on public transport all over Europe.
What is the point? You are really selling.....nothing!
We are advertising because we have this real great thing to offer.....NOTHING!

It's funny because when you look at the rules of logic (and I mean logic and critical thinking in the absolute academic sense), you could never disprove the existence of a supreme being.  It could be proven if he/she decided to come down from the sky and tell us about his/her existence.  But technically it is impossible to disprove it. 

So the whole atheist thing is that they believe in science and reason above all else... but they believe in something that is logically impossible to prove.  It's just funny when you think about it. 

hannaugh said:
It's funny because when you look at the rules of logic (and I mean logic and critical thinking in the absolute academic sense), you could never disprove the existence of a supreme being.  It could be proven if he/she decided to come down from the sky and tell us about his/her existence.  But technically it is impossible to disprove it. 

So the whole atheist thing is that they believe in science and reason above all else... but they believe in something that is logically impossible to prove.  It's just funny when you think about it. 

This is not entirely true. Most atheists don't claim that there is no God. They just don't believe that there is one. Important distinction. Most "strong atheist's" believe that the god of the big three dessert religions doesn't exist - mainly because these are the religions that you have to deal with the most - in the USA it's generally Christianity that is talked about the most, because it's everywhere. But in general I'd say most atheists don't believe that there is a God(s). Kind of like if you were to claim that there's a million dollars in your pocket right now. I can't prove if there is or isn't but I don't believe that there is. Kind of different than saying that there definitely isn't.

Well, I'm mainly talking about atheists that I know personally, and most of them will tell you point blank that there is no god.  Not "I don't believe", but "there is no", and they cite things that are wrong with the Bible as proof, which is of course, not proof at all.  But you meet a lot of crazy people that think they are THE authority in such things when you're in college.

Call it a crutch if you will, but everything really sucks for the person who says there is no God. With no God, or supreme being, the only sense of morality that we can have is the one invented by the society that we live in, which is kind of a way to say that morality is irrelevant. If we really are amoral creatures, than there is no reason for Hitler to be wrong or for establishment to be right. Without God we can have no purpose. If an atheist really explores the implications of what he believes, he will come to the conclusion that he has no purpose but mere existence, which I think is a pretty depressing way to think about life...

Anyways, lots of people have problems with God, but my belief is that the problems resulting from no God are much greater.

That was such a thread hijack, but, oh well, I think it was worth saying...

I am an atheist and I don't think that there are gods or anything like that, in my opinion they are just a way to rationalise things we don't understand. Of course science could also be considered that but at least that involves some sort of method of testing and observation rather than saying 'god did it.' ;)

However since science is all about theories and they exist merely to be disproved I am happy to be proven wrong and would accept the existence of a god if it could be proved. Don't expect me to start worshipping it though as that would be like worshipping the chair I'm sitting on.

Oh and I don't play in any church bands (fairly obvious I would expect) but that hasn't stopped one guy trying to get me to do it, he was a drummer which explains why he tried. ;)

Nope, I can't prove that God does or doesn't existence... I just think it makes more sense to me so yeah, I mostly agree with you...

but yeah, really think about what you believe and try see the implications. If you do this you might find yourself more confused then ever or you might change your mind. It certainly doesn't hurt...

I'm already confused about everything in my life adding more wouldn't hurt at all, however I'm also very lazy and the memory of enforced prayer, hymn singing and religious education at school will never recede so it's unlikely that I'll ever be religious, it also doesn't help that all people in any sort of authority in religions really get on my nerves when I meet them, they either rant about how everyone who doesn't believe is going to hell or they are the happy clappy god is great bunch. Then of course there's the Muslim nutters who have called me an infidel in the past simply for being white and having long hair. :-\

I can understand not being into organized religion.  I certainly am not into it myself (although I can see it has many merits). 

But the reason I could never be an atheist... we humans have such amazing imaginations!  We can make up anything we want to believe in.  Why not make up something cool rather than saying "yeah, I got nothing".  Life is just more interesting that way, in my opinion. 

rockskate4x said:
Call it a crutch if you will, but everything really sucks for the person who says there is no God. With no God, or supreme being, the only sense of morality that we can have is the one invented by the society that we live in, which is kind of a way to say that morality is irrelevant. If we really are amoral creatures, than there is no reason for Hitler to be wrong or for establishment to be right. Without God we can have no purpose. If an atheist really explores the implications of what he believes, he will come to the conclusion that he has no purpose but mere existence, which I think is a pretty depressing way to think about life...

Anyways, lots of people have problems with God, but my belief is that the problems resulting from no God are much greater.

That was such a thread hijack, but, oh well, I think it was worth saying...

This kind of thinking is what scares and frustrates non-believers. :laughing7:

hannaugh said:
I can understand not being into organized religion.  I certainly am not into it myself (although I can see it has many merits). 

But the reason I could never be an atheist... we humans have such amazing imaginations!  We can make up anything we want to believe in.  Why not make up something cool rather than saying "yeah, I got nothing".  Life is just more interesting that way, in my opinion. 

You can make up anything you want to believe if you want to. Just don't start expecting other people to believe it. And keep it away from our laws. Seriously.

The universe is incredibly fascinating and mind blowing to me without having to make up anything.

Whoa, slow down there.  Did I say it should be a law?  I said I personally find it more interesting to believe in something than to not.  I believe in freedom to believe or not believe whatever. 

I'm a huge fan of the 1st amendment.

hannaugh said:
Whoa, slow down there.  Did I say it should be a law?  I said I personally find it more interesting to believe in something than to not.  I believe in freedom to believe or not believe whatever. 

I'm a huge fan of the 1st amendment.

Whoa, slow down there. I didn't say you said anything. You misunderstood. Some people think that their religious beliefs should be the basis for legislation. I don't think that is a good idea. I think separation of church and state is a good idea. Believe whatever you want, but like I said keep those beliefs out of our laws.

No love for the atheists, eh?

I don't believe there is no god. I am convinced there is no god. There is a fundamental difference.

Is the existence of a being similar in concept to that of a god possible? Sure. That doesn't make it the least bit plausible. There have been THOUSANDS of gods over the years that people have lived and died for - why is one concept any more valid than all the others? Because people currently believe in it? Laughable.

No, I do not believe in science religiously - although it does have more inherent value than religion.

No, I do not think life is meaningless - the fact that this is all the time I will ever have only makes me value life more.

No, I cannot choose to believe in whatever tickles my fancy, any more than a sane adult could choose to believe in the Tooth Fairy.

No, atheism is not a religion.

And those bus adverts? Generally, they aren't trying to sell anything to anyone. They're trying to tell other people it's okay to admit they don't believe in a god. The ads are trying to show their demographic that they aren't alone in their beliefs/convictions/world views. If they're 'selling' anything, it isn't the concept of nothing; it's the concept of freedom.

I don't think there is anything about believing in a higher power that limits your freedom. 

Back